Oct 29, 2008

The Issues


This post was submitted for Cocoa's Worldfull Wednesday. We were suppose to focus on one of a number of political issues. I thought I had scheduled this for Wednesday! I was wrong, so it is a day late.

Conversation a few days ago with my 9 and 7 year old children.

"Who are you voting for, mom?"

"Senator ___________."

"Why?"

"Because he is the one that stands for more of the same issues I believe in."

"Like what? What issues?"

"Well, he believes parents should have a choice in education, he believes that law-abiding citizens have the right to bear arms, and he is against abortion. That is very important to me."

"What's abortion?"

(Sigh.... I better keep it simple.)

"Well, sometimes a woman gets pregnant and decides she doesn't want to have a baby and goes to the doctor to have the baby taken out of her."

(Wide eyes)

"What do they do with the baby?"

(Pause....How do I answer? I don't want them to loose all their faith in humanity before they are even teenagers! Nevertheless, I decide to go with a very simple, honest answer.)

"Well, guys, they take the baby when it is really, really small. Some people think that when it is that small it is not a real person and so they destroy it. It's very sad and I do not think that is right. And so, I'm against abortion."

(Now, I expected that there might be some emotion, but was still a little overwhelmed by the response.)

"WHAT????" (Eyes are tearing up.) "Mom, how can they do that?" "That's LEGAL?" "How can that happen??" "They kill the baby???"

(Now there are full blown sobs.)

And then my 7 year old daughter whispers, "Oh, those poor mothers...they will be so sad forever."

(That's when my eyes started to water.)

I'm about to tell them that it is a very complicated issue. That there are lots of scenarios. I wanted to comfort them by saying that some scientists don't think the embryo can feel anything. But then, why should I try to smooth over an issue that should make everyone cry out in horror? My 9 and 7 year old's shock and tears are proof enough to me that it really isn't complicated at all.

It's about life and death.
It's about right and wrong.

The adversary would like to blur the lines until it is too hard to see them or until we just don't care anymore.

What can we do?

I want to see children being taught to reverence life, rather than see it made a complete mockery in video games and television. We need to protect their sensitivity to light and darkness! How frightening it is to think, that in a few decades our world might be lead by children who have spent SO MANY hours in front of a screen showing violence, rudeness, disrespect, and vile behavior. We NEED to protect their sensitivity by taking them outside and showing them the marvels of the world God created, by teaching them to pray earnestly and to increase their faith, by having consequences for bad behavior, by loving them unconditionally, and by LIMITING THE SCREEN TIME.

I want to see more legislation that promotes adoption as an alternative and that teaches the long lasting effects of abortion. It's very foolish to think that a woman can go back to "normal" after having an abortion. It is not the easy "fix" that people believe it is.

I believe very strongly in a woman's right to choose. She can choose to be responsible before she gets pregnant! I realize that there are some instances where a woman becomes pregnant because someone else was selfish and evil. I believe so strongly, however in adoption and that the innocent life that was brought into the world because of a wicked deed, need not perpetuate the evil, but, given to a warm and loving couple could be the cause of healing and forgiveness and love.

We live in a time where we do not have the luxury of being passive. We can be a force for good. And, while the issues can seem very overwhelming, the best place to start is at home.

BUT, be prepared to be taught (and humbled) by your children.

18 comments:

Montserrat said...

Out of the mouths of babes! Children are so innocent but have natural instinctive views of right and wrong that sadly get suppressed as we get older and "wiser" delving deeper and deeper into issues until as you say the lines have been blurred and we aren't really sure what's up or down anymore.

James and Aimee said...

You said everything I wanted to say, I just couldn't quite make it come out right. Thank you!

Roo Roo's Corner said...

I'll say! Amen to that! Those mothers will be sad forever! It is more than just not taking resposibilty for a life. What a tender moment to teach and learn:)

Amber M. said...

Wow. What intelligent little people you have. You summed it up so well.

Rachel said...

I love this post! I think I would react just like you did at first, trying to make it "nicer" for your kids, but then realizing that the adversary has blurred the lines!

I'm always so paranoid of offending someone that I often forget that I was offended in the first place!

Is it alright to put your post in my Friday Finds this week?

Andrea said...

What a beautiful teaching moment! No one could express it better than your daughter did. Thank you for sharing.

Bertie said...

WOW Sonja!! What a great and true post!! I just kept saying, AMEN! AMEN and AMEN- to each and every word! Thanks for sharing such a tender experience between you and your children with us:)

Rindee said...

Beautifully written and beautifully illustrated. I am also a believer that our world is desensitizing us to things that are horrific. We have been taught tolerance for so long that we are losing our abhorrence to evil. If only all of our spirits were as pure and sensitive and those your children posess. How different would our world be?

Sea Star said...

Because of the election we have had so many great learning and teaching moments when we have discussed the issues with our kids. It is amazing how much they pick up when you don't realize they are listening. They ask very simple questions and give some of the most honest responses. What a lovely post!

Michal said...

beautifully done, sonja.

my kids asked me last week, "what does abortion mean?" my eyes welled up at the horror of it as i explained to them, much as you did, about abortion. somehow, explaining it to children who are so innocent and faithful i was able to see even more how completely horrible abortion is.

i love what you said about believing that women do have a choice. they can choose to be responsible before. they can choose to be selfless if they are pregnant, and forever be blessed for giving both that baby and an adoptive family a chance at joy.

when i told my horrified kids, their response was, "why would someone do that?"

"because they don't understand how much heavenly father loves each one of us. they don't know what to do. and some people tell them it is the right thing to do."

"but someone else could love their baby, mom! couldn't someone adopt their baby?"

why is it that our children can see the solutions that society refuses to see? i pray that as we stand up for truth and righteousness, our country will be a better place.

Loretta and Richie said...

Thanks, Sonja...

Brent Hope said...

Beautiful post Sonja.

This is the same conclusion that Ruth and I had come up with back in the day. It's comforting to see others come up with the identical conclusion that we did.

Absolute/interpretation of the law is decided by Supreme Court Justices. Who nominates them? The President of the United States does. To me this is why it is so important to vote in a President with the right platform.

Thanks for your dear, dear post and teaching truth while doing it.

Ice Cream said...

If only a child could be president. Thank you for such a beautifuly simple (and heart wrenching) way to look at this topic.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you for posting this! I hope mommy-bloggers will follow your example and wield the power of their blogs in getting this important message out there!

I know I did this with MY blog; I'm hoping other mothers will do the same!

Kelly said...

I hope you read the article in the Ensign last month on abortion. Very powerful. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Becky J. said...

This broke my heart! I've thought so many times about how I'm ever going to explain the tough issues out there to my girls and how hard it will be to help them understand that these things could even happen! You did a good job telling them about it, even though I know it must have been so hard!

Amy said...

I had a similar experience when I had a talk about abortion with some of my children. And they had the same reactions. I think that if everyone can think back to when they first learned about the existence of this act they will remember that they too had those same feelings of abhorrence. How and when this changes within people is something I do not understand.

Carrie Thompson said...

number 100, 546, 498 reason why we home school. You can you imagine how differently that conversation would have gone if a teacher had brought it up!

You were blessed to have that moment with your child, even though we question what we should tell and how much "truth" kids can handle, they always surprise us.