
When the going gets tough, the tough break out in song and imagine they are in a musical because that's what makes them happy.
The twinkle has entered the eye of my baby. Not the happy twinkle that parents delight in seeing. No, no...this is the "ha Haaa! I have discovered the fun of taking all my clothes off and escaping out the back door" twinkle. The "ha Haaa! I have learned how to take off marker caps and unleash the magic that lies within" look. She gives this twinkle-eyed look to me just before she climbs up to Elise's top bunk bed and scares me half to death!--And as she's knocking down all the clothes I spent an hour folding and organizing. Come on moms, you know what I'm talking about right? I'm on edge...
So after like, the thirteenth time I mopped the floor today...when I was close to tears because little 16 month old Anna is a whirlwind, no, hurricane right now, this song just popped into my head: (to the tune of "Matchmaker" from Fiddler on the Roof)
Mess-maker, mess-maker, making a mess
You are so cute,
but I am distressed!
I clean up one room
and come out and see
an other mess! Oh! Dear me!
Anna, please leave your diaper on...
No! Don't you go on the chair!
We don't throw our dinner upon the floor
Don't put that Vaseline in you hair!
Mess-maker, mess-maker growing up fast
Learning so much
These messes can't last.
I hope that someday my cleaning will prove
The love that I have for you!
Just smile and sing. Can you imagine me just smiling and singing as I'm mopping the milk and yogurt and sticky, sticky Ramen noodles off the floor and walls? Well I was. Cheap therapy people, go pop in a musical and start watching....after you put the hurricane to bed. Right now all my kids are sleeping and I feel like singing "Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles...."
6 comments:
That was such a great song! I may have to copy it someday soon and replace Anna with Sophie. I watch old movies for therapy, too! Much cheaper than a therapist. :)
I loved your post - Fiddler on the Roof is my favorite musical, and your version was great. Good luck with your hurricane. It helps me to remember Matthew 25:37-40. Everything in there applies to kids, except for the prison part, hopefully! - Alan
I love reading your blog! Your personality just shines through, you're such a great mom! Hey I need some therapy too...lets get a group together and go have lunch...that counts as therapy doesn't it?
I. LOVE. THIS. SONG! I am going to memorize it and sing it everyday to my Sweet Terror.
You are so great at taking frustrations and making the best of them! I think there is a reason that kids are so dang cute at Anna's age.
I agree with Richie and Loretta. Cuteness is a survival mechanism in children!! I too have a giant mess I need to get cleaned up. And I thought they'd be ok playing in their room while I watched general conference!
Post a Comment