1) I love Relief Society. I love the decorations, table clothes, lights, the fuss we women make to ensure things look nice. The sweet testimonies, the tears that seem to accompany our gentle nature. I love the strength and security I feel when I'm with a group of women who stand firm for what they believe in. For these reasons and many more, I love Relief Society.
2) I love Christmas music. In fact, one of the reasons Christmas time is so special, magical...meaningful to me is because of the music. There's a lot on my mind about this. I could write a long, deep, thought provoking post with some of things that are on my mind. Maybe another time. For now, I'll stick to what's in my heart.
I have memories, very, very fond ones, of playing in the band and singing in the choir at Christmas time. I think I was 9 or 10 when I first started playing clarinet. And I started playing piano when I was six. So for as long as I can remember, there has been plenty of music at Christmas time. "Thy Little Ones", "Beautiful Savior", "Silent Night", "Magnificat", these are just a few songs that have very special meaning to me. A thousand thoughts, feelings, memories and impressions accompany them. And while so many people and places surround these songs, the uniting, universal, central figure is Jesus Christ. He is the savior of the whole world. When I think about Him as a sweet little baby, it brings tears to my eyes. When I think about His love for us, it makes me want to shout to the world, "He is Risen!"
For now, I am content to unite my voice with the millions of others who will sing these beautiful carols and hymns this Christmas season. And while the languages may differ, their music and message are the same: Joy to the World.
So, here are 13 of my favorite Christmas CDs:













9 comments:
I love Christmas Music too. Do you have a favorite Christmas hymn or song? Mine is "What Child is This".
I love Christmas music and recognize many of those CD's from my collection. Music always makes this time of year fun.
Hi Sonja! I found your blog on Jill's list and I thought that I would say Hi! I hadn't realized how many people have blogs now! I agree with you about music... it's such a wonderful thing and brings so much joy and closeness. I love it! Oh, and I also didn't get a chance to tell you how beautiful you sounded singing last night! Thanks for sharing your awesome talent!
Cocoa--"What Child is This" is definately one of my favorites.It's probably my very favorite to sing. My DH plays it beautifully on the guitar. I also really like listening to Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" this time if year as well as Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"
Sea Star--I'm glad you like these cd's too! You can tell a lot anout a person by their cd collection. You must be awesome! :D
Michelle--hello! and thanks! I can' wait to check out your blog.
I love refief society, too...and for many of the same reasons you mentioned. I'll never forget what an honor it was to serve with you in the relief society presidency. You taught me so much...I just love you, Sonja.
Music is one of the best things about Christmas, and those are some awesome cd's you have listed. I don't own all of them, but I'm very interested in the Swedish Christmas one.
Hey, I remembered I have a cd of Ode to Joy played in Berlin on Christmas Day a month after the Berlin Wall fell. Instead of singing "Ode to Joy" (An die Freude), they sing "An die Freiheit" (Ode to Freedom). It's really cool
Hi Sonja! Me again! Sorry, I was just checking out your links and I saw that you had J'aime lire on there! Have you been reading the books?? I am one of the members there! Anyway, thought that was cool!
It is a serious tradition around here that we listen to the John Denver/Muppets rendition of 12 Days of Christmas at least 20 times. Ba Dum Dum Dum.
Post a Comment