Nov 25, 2007

Warning: Way too much information


It's been 2 1/2 years. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever return. But it has. After the birth of my fourth child, I've enjoyed quite a long reprieve from my monthly visitor. And now I feel connected to every woman throughout all the ages. I'm reminded of my inheritance. I think about it every time I read a book with a heroine. I think, "Well I wonder what she did during this time?" Of course I'll never know. Because heroines never seem to have "this time".
I even find security in its return. Don't you find security in something that you can consistently rely on, even if it is not so desirable? Like rain on the Fourth of July in Washington. I have three daughters. Honestly, I'm not really looking forward to sharing this part of womanhood with them. Yeah, yeah...there is beauty in femininity. The creation process is a miracle, I know. I intend to play that up, because it's true. But, come on, you can not deny the fact that this part is not pleasent. Well, I've been reading some interesting things about my dear aunt Flo. On the one hand you have the natural feminists who almost worship the period. On the other, you have those who would do away with the whole mess altogether. I guess I'm sort of in between. Typical.
I'm surprised by the relief I feel right now. I realize that this is a sensitive subject, I did warn you it was probably too much inforamtion, but it is definitely part of who I am. So, here's to all the women who work, despite pain; clean, despite being tired; smile, despite feeling emotional; and take care of others, despite it all.

7 comments:

Jill Hunt said...

Congrats, or maybe just happy relief! You are a lucky one. I am so the opposite. Mine always comes back about after 3 months of having a baby and while I am still nursing. I never thought it was fair, but at the same time I always like the security of being so regular!!! I love how honest you are in your posts. Makes me feel like other people out there go through the same things as me. I am so glad you are back from your trip!!!

Montserrat said...

I've got six daughters and it's already begun. I tell people we should invest in Kotex. ;D

And on the subject of too much information I am the same way. My husband is not going to know what hit him when all the girls are teenagers AND his wife (and the girls) are experiencing PMS at the same time. We've been married 13 years and I've had 4 periods. He hasn't a clue what's coming!

nicole said...

Oh Sonja, you are too funny!

Bertie said...

Sonja! You make me laugh:) You're awesome!!:)

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Fabulous post! I believe in teaching our daughters to honor their periods instead of warning them about "the monthly curse" and keeping it in the dark as something embarrassing.

I just bought a butterfly necklace from Lia Sophia last week! I plan to put it in a special box to give my daughter when she makes the metamorphosis to womanhood, to wear as a protective amulet during this sacred time. My daughter is 3, but I'm hoping to accumulate a box of special items & gifts to give her in 10 years or so.

On that note, I've been dealing with bleeding for the last 11 weeks, and it finally stopped, thank goodness. Pros & cons with everything I guess. ;)

Ice Cream said...

One of my favorite books to read, Ride The Wind, had a heroine who has her Aunt Flo. She is an indian (Native American) and women aren't allowed to ride the horses when it is that time of the month because it is mad medecine. I too have an iregular period and try so hard not to grumble when I do get it.

Cranberryfries said...

Oh girl. haha. I'm like Jill. I got about a six week break. What!?! Honestly. However after reading your post I guess I can count my blessings in that I have some regularity:) You are too cute!