Dec 6, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: Christmas books and movies

(This illustration in from one of my favorite artists, Tasha Tudor)
I am such a creature of habit. These books and movies are part of my holiday repertoire and fill me up with joy and gladness. I would love to elaborate on each one, but there are just not enough hours in the day (or night!). Do you have favorite holiday books or movies that inspire you or make you laugh? I'd love to hear about them.

Mauri Kuunas is a very famous Finnish illustrator. This book was read to me when I was a little girl. It is the difinative book on good old St. Nick (who lives in Finland, by the way).

Surprisingly well done for Hollywood. This one is more for older folks than younger folks. A very touching story of true christian spirit.

We love Bob and Bing at our house.

I still "Cry the day that I take the tree down."

This one is actually a new one. Kate DiCamillo is one of my favorite authors and she did not disappoint me with this beautifully illustrated and written Christmas story.

A classic and must for my children.

I've spent many winter nights snuggled up on the couch with Jeremy watching this movie. I'm really looking forward to watching it again this year with him.

The dreamiest visions of sugar plums are done by Tasha Tudor. Another must with the kids.

We love the Hermans!

I always want to ask Jeremy to carve me a nice nativity set after reading this book. It also inspired a red scarf I knitted one year.

Ah, Dickens. What a joy it is to read your books. We also enjoy going to see "A Christmas Carol" at the Hale Center Theater.
Have you read "A Cricket on the Hearth?" I highly recomnd it.

Because it's funny. Very funny.




Don't buy these. I'm warning you. You will not be able to resist eating the whole bag. Something about the combination of mint and chocolate and crunchy candy....
Just don't buy them!!!

10 comments:

Sea Star said...

Mint M&M's.... oh...no... I may have to go an search them out. I love mint anything. I think I will have to treat myself!

I don't know some of those books. I am going to have to look into them. The movies I know well. We love Elf and It's a Wonderful Life. White Christmas is always fun. I wonder if my kids would sit through that one. Maybe I will give it a try.

Thanks for the list.
Merry Christmas!

Jill Hunt said...

I love so many of those too. And the mint M&M's. I too am SOOO addicted to them. I think I ate about 5 huge handfulls of them just tonight alone. Not a good idea, but I love them!s

Cellista said...

I LOVE mint chocolate!!

I love the Fourth Wise Man (and lots of others you listed).

We really had fun reading Olivia helps with Christmas. Though I'm so glad my kids don't act like Olivia :)

Bertie said...

Sonja!

Everytime I click on your blog and you have your Thursday 13- I think too things- this is a really cool thing to do-- and it's THURSDAY already!!! :) Keep it up!

I absolutely love Elf too- I could watch it over and over and over- and in that movie- Chet and I are like kids again hitting the "rewind" button on certain parts over and over - like the one in the bathroom, where he runs into the wall, or being scared by the pop-up toy.

Unknown said...

Thanks for some great holiday book recommendations. I think I might go pick up a Christmas Carol for my next read. I don't think I have ever read the book.

Ice Cream said...

I won't buy them. I don't like chocolate, but make it minty and I LOVE it.

My hubby and I always laugh about White Christmas because it really only has two parts that have anything to do with Christmas. Still, we watch it every year and have all the songs memorized. So, do you guys watch A Christmas Story? That is also one of our favorites.

An Ordinary Mom said...

What an awesome list! I love it!

Montserrat said...

My girls do a hilarious rendition of "Sisters" from White Christmas. I am just amazed we have many so many of the same books and movies. I think the only one I don't have is the Finnish one. Great minds really do think alike!

nicole said...

What a great list! I think one of my favorite Christmas stories is one that my dad sent me when I was on my mission (2 years after losing my mom). Jeffrey R. Holland wrote it, and it's called Christmas Comfort. It's just about 10 pages or so, but I love it. Just puts everything into perspective for me.

Becky J. said...

We just finished our yearly ritual of watching "Elf" because it really is hilarious! "I'm in love, I'm in love, and I don't care who knows it!" tee hee And I love snuggling with my hubby while watching It's a Wonderful Life. We just tried the Mint M&M's and are sorry we did. Now we're hooked, too.