Jan 19, 2008

Chocolate Angel Food Cake ala Raspberry Fudge


Because Cocoa asked so nicely, here is the recipe for the yummy birthday cake. Also, because class is never dismissed at our house, we tied in a lesson about chain reactions as we made this cake this week. It was probably one of our yummiest lessons. :D

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

12 egg whites
1 c. cake flour
1/3 c. cocoa
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract

After separating into a large bowl, let egg whites stand for one hour. In a separate bowl, sift together 4 times: flour, 3/4 c. sugar, and cocoa. Set aside the remaining 3/4 c. sugar. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add salt to egg whites and beat with mixer until frothy, the add cream of tartar. Beat till mixture forms rounded peaks (about 5-8 min.). Add remaining sugar to egg mixture 2 Tbls. at a time while mixing. Mix in almond and vanilla extracts. Fold sifted mixture in 4 Tbls. at a time until all is mixed thoroughly. Slide batter into a lightly sprayed tube pan and cut through to break air bubbles. Bake at 35o for 40-45 min. Cool upside-down.

Raspberry Fudge
3 cups chocolate chips
2 Tbls. Butter
1/3 cup Torrani Raspberry syrup (I used sugar-free)
raspberries, if you have them. I did not use them this time.

Melt chocolate chips and butter in microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir and put in a little longer if not all melted. Be careful not to burn it! Stir until smooth and slightly thickened. Add Raspberry syrup and stir until blended.

Spread half of fudge on half of cake. Top with fresh raspberries. Spread the rest on top. And top with fresh raspberries.

Here's a bit of our lesson. Egg whites contain chains called albumin. Whisking whips air bubbles into the egg white. The albumin traps the bubbles, making a foam. When you bake it with the other ingredients, it makes a light fluffy cake, full of air trapped by albumin.

This poorly taken picture is from Usbornes's 100 Science Experiments. It does a good job of illustrating the process.

4 comments:

Montserrat said...

YES!! Thank you so much! I even like the Alton Brown explanation of why egg whites whip up fluffy and make a great cake. I'm printing out the recipe for my 12 year old to make. Next week is her turn to cook. ;D

Unknown said...

This looks delicious. I can't wait to try it!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I just have to tease you...what's the difference between Angle Food Cake and Angel Food Cake? :)

It looks yummy, I'll let you know what we think when we get a chance to try it out.

Sonja said...

Jen- There is a distinct difference between Angle food and Angel food, and WE make Angle food. ;-D

I am SOO embarrased! How did I let that one get by me?

I'm going to change it, hope no one minds.