Jan 5, 2008

That which can not be written

I've been thinking an awful lot about this post.
It began at the beginning of December. I was brainstorming ideas for Michelle's (of Scribbit) monthly writing contest. The subject was, "My Favorite Day." I figured I could probably come up with lots of great ideas for that one. Now, I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a great writer. But I've enjoyed the challenge of trying to write something worth-while and the push to work my brain cells a little.

I tried to think of something witty, smart, sincere, entertaining. What would be my favorite day? What has been my favorite day so far? My wedding day? The day that brought a new baby to our family? I've been so blessed to have many special days tucked away in my memory. But I could not decide which I would call my favorite and how I would convey it in writing. So, I put it on the back burner.

And it simmered. The idea kept coming into my mind. I would reflect on it awhile, only to put it away again.

Not too far into the month I got a call from my sister. I will never forget the feelings our conversation induced. She told me that she and her husband had been listening to the missionaries. After studying the gospel, her husband decided to be baptized. He was going to be baptized on Christmas day.

My mom and dad and brothers, all planned a trip out to North Carolina for the baptism. To say they were elated, would be an understatement. Joy, happiness, sweetness (oh, where's that thesaurus?), you get the idea. Of course, I would have loved to have been there too. Taking our family of 6 from Utah to North Carolina in December just wasn't an option though. And, we already planned a trip to Washington to be with Jeremy's family for Christmas.

It was while we were in church the Sunday before Christmas in Washington that it hit me.

We were enjoying a very wonderful meeting. Beautiful Christmas music, inspired speakers and messages. The spirit was very strong. One sister, in her talk quoted from a song:

"Hark now hear the angels sing, a new king born today, and man will live forever more because of Christmas day."

She talked about how that song had special meaning for her. It was her solace at a time of great sorrow and reminded her that she could be with her sister, who was tragically taken in a car accident, again. She would see her again. Embrace her, hear her, live with her again. She said that she was angry with God for not saving her sister from physical death until she was reminded that He has saved her. Eternally saved her.
And you.
And me.

"Because of Christmas day."

And I got to thinking about my favorite day again. I thought about all my family way over there across the country. Memories and tender feelings about my childhood came into my mind. My sister and I are only 20 months apart, so I don't ever remember a time that she was not my sister. I remember going to the hospital to see my first brother when he was born. It all seemed so magical. I remember when my youngest brother was born and running home after school, so excited to see the little baby and to hold him. I remember the feeling of belonging. Of being loved and loving so much.

I thought about that Christmas gathering, of those people that I loved so well. Of the feelings that I knew were in their hearts. I thought of my excellent brother-in-law being baptized by my good father on the day that we remember our Savior's birth. To be reborn on that day.

And that's when it struck me.

There are some feelings and thoughts that just can not be put into words.
"No tongue can speak, neither can they be written by any man....and no one can conceive of the joy which filled our souls..." (3 Nephi 17:17)

So that's why I didn't enter the writing contest last month. This is a poor attempt to write what I know can not really be written. I want to remember this most wonderful day. A day that took place across a continent from me,

because this day brings me and my family closer to that day
which I will be able to call,
without a doubt
my favorite day.

11 comments:

Poppy said...

What a beautiful day indeed. I remember a day on my mission when I learned that the father of one of my friend's was getting baptized after 20+ years of investigating. She, too was on a mission. I know that it wasn't a member of my family, but I was overjoyed for my dear friend just the same. It is true that some joys cannot be expressed in a language that is inadequate to relay their true meanings.
I love your posts! They are so uplifting, humorous, inspiring...what else can I say? except to keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, just beautiful!!
I agree, there are some things that cannot be written (at least by me). I admire (and occasionally envy) those that can put some of those experiences into words, and yet as long as I can remember those feelings and experiences in my heart, I know that's what matters.
I too am grateful for Christmas Day.
Thank you for writing this.

Montserrat said...

I thank you too for writing this. It is so hard to express sometimes what we feel or the experiences we've had.

Loretta and Richie said...

What an exciting thing to happen to your family! And on Christmas day too. Please give Erica and her sweet family my best. Thanks for this post.

Krysten said...

Unbeknown to you I am sure, I came across your blog a few weeks ago. On a day when I needed it most I came to read your sweet words. They filled my heart to overflowing and all I can say is Thank You.

Sea Star said...

What a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing it. I think you put it in words quite well. I could feel what you were trying to say, so the message came through!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this!

Ice Cream said...

The joy you want to express can be felt even between the lines in this post. I am so excitedly happy for you and your family. I'm still waiting for the day when my sister will come back to church (or at least start choosing a happier way of life). That day will truly be to wonderful for words.

Jill Hunt said...

Sonja, you inspire me and always lift my spirits. Just seeing you always lifts my spirits. There is just something about you that makes me smile and feel so good. I will be so sad the day you and your family move away. Thanks for the wonderful post and congrats to your sister's husband!

Becky J. said...

That was beautiful, Sonja. I think you did a great job expressing it in words, though I know that your feelings are much stronger than can even be written. I'm so excited for your sister and her family and totally agree with what the greatest day ever will be.

nicole said...

Wow! That was beautiful, Sonja (what do you mean you can't write?). What an amazing story, and what a perfect day to get baptized. Congratulations to your sister, your brother-in-law, and to you!