Feb 3, 2008

Grateful. Smart. Clean. True. Humble. Prayerful.


My heart is bursting with testimony. I am so grateful for all the other testimonies that people have shared about our beloved prophet. I once attended a CES fireside at the Marriott center that President Hinckley spoke at. It was the most amazing thing to hear the quiet rush of 20,000 people all stand and feel the awesome reverence as President Hinckley walked in. I remember looking around at all the many thousands of people who loved this same man and the gospel he lived. I remember thinking, "This is what it feels like to be united in testimony."

We had a very special experience watching the funeral of President Hinckley. The spirit was so strong. My 8 and 6 year olds both said they felt the spirit. Sweet Samuel was tearful. So was I. Elise said she "felt so warm and good." All of the speakers shared poignant and meaningful memories. I was especially moved by President Eyring and Virginia H. Pearce. The music was incredible and so very appropriate.

The following are just a few thoughts I had as we reflected on the life of President Gordon B. Hinckley.

One person can make such a HUGE difference. As a boy, President Hinckley was pretty average. He was curious and smart. He had loving parents who taught him the gospel. He was also prone to illness. But the Lord saw so much more than that. He saw the makings of a person who could assist Him in an incredible work. Someone who would touch the lives of millions and could carry the weight of that responsibility. We should never underestimate ourselves and our potential for good.

About a week and a half ago I was feeling kind of lousy. I wasn't doing all the things I knew I should be. I was indulging in a lot of a particular TV show and computer time. Staying up way too late. I was neglecting the sisters I visit teach, among other things.

Then I sort of had a prompting. Nothing catastrophic happened, as so often is the case I'm sorry to say, when I need to change my direction. Just a gentle nudging. A longing for my scriptures. A desire to speak more sincerely with my Heavenly Father. A need to be more patient with my children. Very shortly after this experience, we learned of President Hinckley's passing.

As we listened on Saturday an image came so clearly into my mind of President Hinckley in prayer, pleading for us to do just a little bit more. To reach a little higher. Stand a little taller. Can you just imagine this? So often this was his plea. I know that as his life here on earth was coming to an end, this was still his plea. I believe I will never be able to think of this prophet without straightening up a bit in my chair.

I'm so grateful for the prayers of our leaders. I feel their effect in my life. President Hinckley's grandchildren wrote a card that sums up my feelings. It reads:

We will be grateful. We will be smart. We will be clean.
We will be true. We will be humble. We will be prayerful.
Because we love you.


This was printed in Utah Valley's The Daily Herald today.

A new hymn

The funeral of Gordon B. Hinckley, 15th prophet and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, included a surprise from Hinckley himself. Following the address given by Earl C. Tingey, a counselor in the LDS Presiding Bishopric, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir gave the first-ever public performance of the hymn "What Is This Thing That Men Call Death," written as a poem by Hinckley and set to music by widely respected composer and Provo resident Janice Kapp Perry.

Perry said in a e-mail that Hinckley's poem was brought to her attention late last year by a niece, Kathy Blacker, who was dying of cancer. The poem comforted Blacker, Perry said, and "she wrote to President Hinckley's office to ask permission to have the poem printed on her funeral program."

Permission was granted, along with a personal response from Hinckley's secretary, Don Staheli, that included words of comfort from Hinckley himself. Blacker encouraged Perry to ask Staheli whether she could create a musical setting for Hinckley's text. Staheli said that music had been written for the words once before, but that Hinckley had no objection to a new setting.

Perry set to work and submitted her completed new arrangement for Hinckley's approval in December. When she learned of his death on Jan. 27, Perry assumed that Hinckley wouldn't have seen what she'd done. To her surprise, a letter from Hinckley's office arrived the following morning.

"I was extremely grateful to receive the letter," Perry said. Within hours of its delivery, she was contacted by Craig Jessop, director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, to find out whether the hymn could be considered for use in the funeral program.

-- Cody Clark


If you would like a FREE copy of the hymn “What is this thing called Death?” with text by President Gordon B. Hinckley and music by Janice Kapp Perry. Send an email to Primerec @ aol.com with “Funeral Hymn” in the subject line.

In tribute, Sister Perry is allowing this hymn to be freely emailed, copied and used for church or non-commercial use.

4 comments:

Montserrat said...

The hymn was beautiful, wasn't it? We were able to take our three oldest daughters to the funeral while my folks watched our other children. It was so moving to be at the conference center and see everyone waving their handkerchiefs as Pres. Hinckley's casket was rolled out. We will miss him terribly, not only because he was the prophet but because of the father figure he was to my husband's side of the family taking over after my husband's grandmother, Sylvia (Pres. Hinckley's youngest sister) died and then her husband died the very next year, leaving eleven children parentless. The youngest was seven. He set my husband apart as a missionary and then married us in the Salt Lake Temple. He will always be dear to us.

Thank you for sharing your testimony about him as a prophet.

Loretta and Richie said...

Thanks for this post. Love you, Loretta

Anonymous said...

http://mormonsoprano.com/2008/02/03/the-change-called-death/
If you would like a FREE copy of the hymn “What is this thing called Death?” with text by President Gordon B. Hinckley and music by Janice Kapp Perry. Send an email to Primerec @ aol.com with “Funeral Hymn” in the subject line.

In tribute, Sister Perry is allowing this hymn to be freely emailed, copied and used for church or non-commercial use.

Sonja said...

Thank you mormonsoprano, for the info. I forgot to include the copyright information. I will include it in my post.