Feb 29, 2008

Rosy Heaven


Just the smell brings a smile and sends a tingle down in my soul that touches my very earliest memories. The distinct, sweet, earthy smell makes me feel warm as a blanket hanging in the summer sun.

It is almost March now, and the first signs of spring are beginning to sprout. The robins have returned. The grass is waking up. And the sun is sticking around longer. But the surest sign that spring is near is the little box of strawberries waiting patiently on my table.

I love the way they look. So bold and lush. Red is a very bold color. In China, red is a lucky color. Today I will eat my first strawberry of the year, and I feel lucky.

As I sink my teeth in, the cold dark winter is forgotten. I am taken to a hot, summer day spent running barefoot in the grass. To picnics by the lake and lazy afternoons on the porch. I take small, meaningful bites and let the flavor and memories linger.

The juice stains my hands and lips. I look at my stained hands and remember picking strawberries with people I love. My siblings, parents, children and friends. Time moves much slower in a strawberry patch. It is so exciting to peek under a leaf and see a bunch of big, beautiful, bold strawberries staring back. It's like the ultimate hide and seek, and I'm the ultimate winner.

My mom's kitchen smelled divine when she made jam from the strawberries we picked. Ahhh. I can smell it even now. Can you?

In the next few months, I will add many different ingredients to beautiful strawberries. Spinach, Ice cream, Nutela, Cereal, Pasta, Pie crust, Rhubarb, Danish Delight, Chocolate, Bananas, Yogurt, and Granola, to name a few.

But for now, I will let this little box of rosy heaven fill me up with sweet memories all by itself.


This post was entered in Icecream's Dirty Chocolate contest.

6 comments:

Ice Cream said...

Mmmmmm. I can't wait for them to be back in season. One year I made a ton of Strawberry lavender jam and it was soooo good.

Thanks for entering the contest!

Tammy said...

Oh Y.U.M.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those berries look delicious!

Unknown said...

I lover strawberries too. We had a small patch of wild strawberries in our back yard when I was a kid and my brother and I would sit out there eating them while we played.

I am very curious what you make with strawberries and pasta?!? I would be interested in seeing some type of recipe... I have never heard of this combo before.

Kim @ TheBitterBall

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Oh I love Strawberries! It's one of the best parts of spring for sure!

Michelle Claire said...

Sonja, just reading your post is making me crave strawberries... I've also realized that I normally don't buy them because of the price, but honestly, with something that delicious... you have to pay the price. :) I am determined now to get some. My mouth is watering just thinking about it... love your posts Sonja! Oh, and I will definately let you know if I decide to go private, and if you would still like to visit I will invite you! :)

Becky J. said...

That was great! Sophie was sitting on my lap when I looked at this and she pointed to the picture and said "apple." I said, "No way, these are MUCH better than apples." Weird that she doesn't really know about strawberries yet b/c she was too small to remember them from last summer! I can't wait to reintroduce her to some of my favorite things.