Mar 6, 2008

Green Hour


We didn't let our stuffy noses and coughs stop us from participating in the Green Hour Challenge hosted by Barb at Harmony Art Mom. We are jumping in at week three and I want to say thanks to the folks over at Sea Star Academy and La Scuola d'Argento for cluing me in to this neat program. It got us out of the house today and I know we are better for it.






This week's challenge:

1. Read pages 16-17 of the Handbook of Nature Study. --Book is being ordered.

2. This week take your 10-15 minute nature walk. We did!

We love being close to the River. The water was moving fast.
We talked about how the snow was melting in the mountains
and flowing to the rivers.

We were fascinated by all the stuff that is growing in the river.

Must. jump. on. logs.

Can you help us identify this bird? Not the best picture, I know.
We heard several different bird songs. We recognized the chickadees.
I think that is what this bird is.

Thawing out.

We looked for creature homes.
We thought this might have been one.

We couldn't tell if these homes were occupied.
They were too high up. Smart birds.


3. Follow up with discussion and the opportunity for a nature journal entry. --We all enjoyed being out of the house! I think we take nature for granted (understatement of the year here). I tried to have everybody focus on just a few things, sound, smell and sight. They tried, but were much more inclined to run, play, hide, seek and explore. I'm okay with that. As long as we begin an appreciation. The rest will come. I hope.

"Too much have we emphasized drawing as an art; it may be an art, if the one who draws is an artist; but if he is not an artist, he still has a right to draw if it pleases him to do so." --I appreciate this quote from "The Handbook of Nature Study" SO much, being married to an artist and not being an artist myself. I thought the kids did pretty well though. We have a bird theme going.

“From making crude and often meaningless pencil strokes, which is the entertainment of the young child, to the outlining of a leaf or some other simple and interesting natural object, is a normal step full of interest for the child because it is still self-expression.” (both quotes from page 17 of the Handbook of Nature Study)

13 comments:

Barb said...

I am so glad you found the challenges! I know you are going to enjoy reading everyone's experiences and sharing what your family is doing for nature study.

What a beautiful spot you have to explore. I love the nature journal entries at the end of the day.

Thanks for linking,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Montserrat said...

I've loved reading Sea Star's and Cellista's Green Hour Posts too! It's inspired me to fill the kids' Easter baskets with nature journals, real drawing pencils, and colored pencils so we can start our own nature walks and journals too.

Anonymous said...

I love that last picture! Great job on your first green hour! I like all your pictures.
I think we take nature for granted too, and it is SO good to get outside. Now if it would just warm up a little!

Loretta and Richie said...

I used to jog along the Provo Parkway Trail next to the river. It does get so beautiful in the spring! What an awesome post. Thanks for inspiring me to get my kids into nature this spring.

Ice Cream said...

I also love that you, Sea Star, and Cellista are doing this at the same time. This way we get to see the different ways it can be done. I'm loving reading abut it and am keeping notes.

Ice Cream said...

P.S. LOVE LOVE LOVE that quote about not having to be an artist to create art.

Sarah said...

I love the art and I am a big nature fan! I absolutely love it! I didn't know that you homeschooled! Way to go! I don't think I would be able to have the discipline to do that, you are awesome! I do think that bird is a chickadee.

Sea Star said...

I always feel better after a day spent outside. Isn't it lovely. I am so glad you are taking the challenge too. It is great to have an objective and a reminder to stop, look and listen.

Sophie always loves to draw but she often want to embellish and turn the natural world into fantasy. Her birds always end up with fancier feathers and looking a totally different color. I love that you broke out the paints. Maybe we will do that next time. My kids are always asking for the paints and I don't get them out often enough.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Great nature walk pictures! Looks like a great time!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful nature adventure! I loved looking at all your pictures, thanks for sharing.

I have a guess at the type of bird in your photo...I'm not sure what part of the country you live in, but it looks to me to be a "Dark-eyed Junco", specifically the "Oregon Race" variety. You can see a picture here: http://www.utahbirds.org/birdsofutah/BirdsD-K/DarkEyedJunco.htm

Happy Nature Adventuring,

Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Tammy said...

What a GORGEOUS day you had!

I really, really enjoyed this post. :)

Tina in WA said...

Great pictures and wonderful journal entries! I love that you used water colors. What a lovely effect. :o)

~Tina

Ms Eva said...

Great photographs and paintings! I love that you used watercolors! I seldom use anything other than colored pencil - I'm not comfortable with much else. :)