I've worn many different mom hats; the working mom hat, the stay-at-home mom hat, the soccer mom hat, the homeschool mom hat, the PTA mom hat, the fun mom hat, the mean mom hat, the healthy mom hat, the not-so healthy mom hat, etc.
I believe that no matter which hat you are currently wearing, there are some mothering truths that apply to ALL. We are all in this together. We have so much to learn from each other.
Everyone is trying to do what is best for their family. That is universal truth number 1.
Here are twelve more:
2. For every ten women talking in a circle about their difficult birthing experiences and struggle to get those baby pounds off, there will be one who cheerfully announces that her labor was easy and she wore her skinny pants home from the hospital.

3. The amount of mess caused by a poopy diaper is directly proportional to how big of a rush you are in to get some where. The bigger the rush, the bigger the mess.
4. Most moms believe in a higher power. While the big bang theory has some merit, most mothers agree that their precious offspring MUST have a connection to deity. "They sure didn't get that from me."
5. We can rely on our children to keep us humble. "My mom spends WAY too much time on the computer." -Elise to her primary teacher. "It looks like there's another baby in your tummy mom"-- I joined the gym the next day. Nothing like a little humble pie to motivate you.
6. Mothers kiss their 8 hours of sleep good-bye as soon as they welcome their first baby. They are never to be seen again. By the time we might be able to enjoy a good night's sleep, our bodies won't let us.7. Even the most squeamish mom can turn into a raging bear if anyone threatens her cubs. I have a hard time squishing spiders (I usually just take them outside) but I would have no problem gouging out eyes in order to protect my children.
8. All mothers secretly wish for Mary Poppins to come visit their home. I would give anything to acquire that clean-up snap of hers.

9. Every mother has, at one time, wanted to run out the door screaming. Which makes the fact that most moms don't all the more admirable.
10. Children always realize they need to go to the bathroom 5 minutes after you leave for a big trip. I'm still waiting for someone to invent a booster seat that converts into a potty chair with the touch of a button.
11. No matter what accomplishments you've had before being a mother, nothing can compare to the colossal strength it takes to clean up vomit when you are feeling sick and tired yourself. Only a mother's love provides that the child will get cleaned up.
12. Mothers acquire the ability to read their children's minds. Shhh..it's our secret. We generally know when our children are planning to sneak cookies, make mischief, are feeling left out, are sad and discouraged, and when they are not telling the truth. We also grow eyes in the back of our head. That's how we can keep track of every body at the store. I'm still waiting for my other set of arms to grow....
13. Mothers can move mountains when someone expresses gratitude, appreciation or kindness. I can fold laundry ALL day when my husband tells me how grateful he is for clean underwear. (Notice that the thought of mountains lead to the thought of laundry.) I can cook dinner when I'm tired because my kids think it makes me the best mom. We all deserve more credit than we sometimes get. We are our own worst critic. Go easy on yourself. You are better than you know. Your kids think you are wonderful, even if they can't express it.

13 comments:
Universal truths is right! Number twelve reminded me of a quote I once heard that went something like, "If the theory of evolution were real mothers would have two pairs of arms by now."
Sonja, I loved reading this one!
Great post today Sonja!
Very cute thank you for sharing! Helps me feel that I'm not the only one who may feel that way.
thanks for sharing the universal truths. they made me laugh. and number one is very important to remember--sometimes we get bogged down in our own weaknesses or spend too much time being critical of others. it's good to remember that we are all trying to do the best we can for our families.
What a great list. They are all too true!
I think the booster/potty idea is a must!
I really need those extra arms and Mary Poppins can arrive any minute. I wouldn't mind at all.
Thanks for the reminders that we all struggle as Moms but your #1 is true. We are doing the best we can.
I loved this post. Thanks for your words of encouragement!
Thank you for this post today. I needed a little pick me up.
Wonderful post! #3 is so true, unfortunately. Also unfortunately, I can see my children telling people I spend WAY too much time at the computer as well. -sigh-
Thanks for writing this.
Wow, these really are so true! You are so creative and such a great writer and I love reading your cute posts every week.
Moms are so smart, especially you. Anytime one of the kids says, "How did you know?" my 5 yr old says, "Because, moms know everything."
And I once had the privilege of being the easy pregnant, labor, and skinny mom... just once and it was wonderful. =)
So true, so true!
You're such a fantastic woman! I'm glad to be your friend.
Post a Comment