Friday vs. Today. (Sunday)


The last several weeks we were busy with field trips and such. This week we stayed home and got caught up on our school work. We did enjoy the sunshine on our bike rides and our nature hour. I have been thinking and reading a lot about homeschool. Sometimes I worry about whether I am giving my children what they need. I know that there are other reasonable options for teaching my children. I received such a strong answer that this is what is right for my family right now. Yet, still I go through periods of doubt. I worry, worry, worry like every mother. I have so many faults. Many times I don't feel very adequate.
I came across these quotes and found some solace:
"The ultimate aim of education is the training of character." --Plato
Inscription on the wall of the Library of Congress: "We taste the spices of Arabia yet never feel the scorching sun which brings them forth."
"Whom, then, do I call educated? First, those who control circumstances instead of being mastered by them; those who meet all occasions manfully and act in accordance with intelligent thinking; those who are honorable in all dealings, who treat good-naturedly persons and things that are disagreeable; and furthermore, those who hold their pleasures under control and are not overcome by misfortune; finally, those who are not spoiled by success.
--Socrates
My kids are mostly happy. They are mostly thinkers. They can be listeners. They usually get along and love each other. They are almost always nice to other people. They are not perfect and neither am I.
Just tonight at the dinner table Jeremy said, "Let's say the prayer so that I can eat while you keep complaining about the food."
See? We're pretty normal. We are learning together. I am so thankful for this time. I am really so thankful for the time that schooling at home gives me with my children. I am so thankful for the other adults in their life too. Their primary teachers, parents of friends, uncles, aunts and grandparents. I'm so lucky to have a wonderful husband who supports me in this too. We are learning together.
With out further ado, here are some examples of our work this week:
I know I said we didn't go anywhere this week. BUT we DID go to the library. I got my books back on time. Anna slept the whole time. Clarie and I got to read stories. Elise went to Library Kids Jr. and learned about people from around the world.
Sam went to Library Kids Senior and got to be Orlando in Shakespeare's play, "As You Like It." He has been reading the condensed versions of the plays and really likes them. He came out of the room when it was over with this crazy look on his face. When I asked him how it went he said, "Mom, I had to tell a girl I loved her!" Oh, the agony.
Books we read and are reading:

Geography:
You may be wondering what my little girls, Anna and Claire, are doing while I am helping Sam and Elise with their school work. They play. They have learned to play really well together. They love to be mommies and dress up in my shoes. They love their babies and like to "cook" dinner and go shopping with their handbags. They play school. Claire is "teaching" Anna the alphabet (which actually really helps Claire remember the letters). They put together puzzles. Well, Claire does while Anna "helps". They color. When they are both healthy I can get in a good 3 hours of teaching time with Sam and Elise.
You may be wondering what my little girls, Anna and Claire, are doing while I am helping Sam and Elise with their school work. They play. They have learned to play really well together. They love to be mommies and dress up in my shoes. They love their babies and like to "cook" dinner and go shopping with their handbags. They play school. Claire is "teaching" Anna the alphabet (which actually really helps Claire remember the letters). They put together puzzles. Well, Claire does while Anna "helps". They color. When they are both healthy I can get in a good 3 hours of teaching time with Sam and Elise.
I think that playing games is a really fun way to learn. Here are some of the games we like to play:
Sam put on a play for us one day. It was about an airplane that crashed on a deserted island. The people had to learn how to get along. Then they were rescued by a boat.
Sam finished his survey and made a pie chart with the results. You can see the results on his blog, The lately news. Elise had lots of fun discovering all kinds of things in the dirt in our back yard. You can read about that here. Sam and Elise are both coming along in their piano lessons. I think I will post some video soon. Claire is starting to show and interest. We'll see....Scripture Study: Through Ether 9
It is very exciting and sad to read about all the kings that the Jaredites have. The plotting, the plundering, the dancing. Moroni reminds us that "the secret oaths and combinations...have caused the destruction of the [Jaredites] and also the destruction of the people of Nephi." (Ether 8:20-21)
Then Moroni speaks pretty directly to us in chapter 8. I couldn't help thinking of the headlines on the paper this week as we read this:
23 Wherefore, O ye Gentiles, it is wisdom in God that these things should be shown unto you, that thereby ye may repent of your sins.....
25 For it cometh to pass that whoso buildeth it up seeketh to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries; and it bringeth to pass the destruction of all people, for it is built up by the devil, who is the father of all lies....
26 Wherefore, I, Moroni, am commanded to write these things that evil may be done away, and that the time may come that Satan may have no power upon the hearts of the children of men, but that they may be persuaded to do good continually, that they may come unto the fountain of all righteousness and be saved.







4 comments:
My husband's cousin came to visit and was telling me how his wife was reading my blog and started feeling down because she wanted to know "how she does so much!" I told him if women would just sit down and write down everything they did they'd realize they do a lot a too. I used you as an example - how I'm inspired when I read everything you did in school for the week. It really is a lot!
Poor Samuel. It is agony having to tell a girl he loves her!
i love your weekly reports. thank you for writing them. i'm planning on dedicating a separate blog to our homeschool coming soon, partly because i think i could benefit from writing my own weekly report (even if it won't be as impressive as yours:)
thanks also for sharing your worries and concerns. it's good to know that others go through that as well.
It is amazing the things you do with your kids! I love reading your blog just because it gives me hope that I can return to this way of parenting later (or not, but I still love reading it). And it is nice to know that you are "normal" (wink, wink).
Tonight my husband came home and, commenting on a huge bag of chocolate chips sitting on the counter with a hole in it hanging over the edge and a trail of chips on the floor, asked, "Is this like one of those hamster pellet feeders? The kids just come and help themselves?" And yeah, it basically was today. But I sure had fun reading my book while they fended for themselves. =)
You know, as much fun as it is to get out and about, sometimes you just need a good week at home to get stuff done. I'm glad you did just that. It all looks fantastic!
Post a Comment