Apr 15, 2008

But what about the bourgeoisie?

The other day we were eating lunch at the table and out of the blue Sam asked Elise if she knew what type of economic system our country had.

"Um...presidents?" she replied.

"Nope. We have a socialist government," Sam told her.

"Wait a minute, Sam. We are not socialists. We are capitalists, " I corrected.

"But the government pays for people's basic needs. What about food stamps and Medicaid?" Sam asks. (We have had benefited from Medicaid and WIC in the past)

"Well, I guess it's true that in some ways it seems like we are moving more towards a socialist mentality, but we still practice capitalism and benefit the most from that," I stammer.

"But MOM! What about the bourgeoisie? We have NO capital! We are the proletariat. It isn't good for us to be capitalists," he answers, very concerned.

Ay caramba! He's eight years old! I better take a closer look at the books he's reading.

But this did give me much pause to think.

7 comments:

Sea Star said...

oh.... my.... goodness.... that is one boy too smart for his age. That is crazy that he even know what a socialist government is, a bourgeoisie or proletariat

Poppy said...

Ok...he lost me at bourgeoisie! Not to mention proletariat! I think I need to go back to school!

Tammy said...

Holy shmoley!

We talked about hiccups yesterday. lol. And that was my older girls! ;)

Erica said...

What are you teaching your children? I had to ask Nick what that meant. You need to teach him that all of your paycheck does not go to the government, all though sometimes it feels like it does. So the people do hold most of their money and have the power to spend it or invest it how ever they want to.

Ice Cream said...

Ho ho ho, I'm so glad I wasn't in your spot there. I probably would have stood there with my jaw on the floor mumbling something incoherant. That is totally awesome. You have some serious brainage going on over there. =)

Michal said...

i am so impressed, not only that he knew what those things meant, but that he was analyzing our own economic system, thus applying what he has learned. what a smart cookie.

Claudia Orgill said...

Let us know what books he has been reading they must be worth studying! :)