We've been wanting to go to the Tracy Aviary for a little while and today we went! It was thrilling! It was exciting! It was a little cold, but it was a nice way to end our unit study on birds. We are diverting a bit from Barb's Green Hour challenge #8, that is why I'm not linking this week. But we are excited
for challenge #9. We will be moving on to plants next week.We saw so many different kinds of birds. This is just a small sampling of the many birds in the world. The variety is astounding! It's incredible for me to think that our Father in Heaven created all these to give variety to the earth. Just for us to marvel and wonder at.
Sam and Elise did a scavenger hunt while we were there. We looked for the different types of beaks to tell us what kind of food they eat. We looked at their feet to tell us where they lived. We admired their feathers and coloring.
One of our favorite birds was this Rainbow Lorikeet.
This Australian native loves to sip nectar.
This Australian native loves to sip nectar.

The Black Swan, also native to Australia.

We have plenty of black and white magpies in our neighborhood,
but no green magpies.

California Condor. Yikes!

Golden Eagles

Is it a Scarlet Letter?
A Scarlet Pimpernel?
Scarlet O'Hara?
No! It's a Scarlet Ibis.

We were so impressed with the Bald Eagles.
So majestic, so stately.
Then we saw them tear into a dead rabbit.
(see it there right in front?)
That kind of put a damper on things.

Temminick's Targopan is more impressive
when it puffs out it's cheeks.

I love the Flamingos' colors.
"Eh mon, you want a piece of me?"

"'s all right?" "'s all right."

The wood duck was nearly extinct in the
late 19th and early 20th century.
Thanks to successful management procedures
there are well over a million wood ducks today.

The Peacocks were showing off today.
We were entranced by their beauty.
We were entranced by their beauty.








11 comments:
How fun! I love the last pic with each kid infront of a bird their "size":) Beautiful bird pics too!
Oh, I just LOVE this post. Birds are our "focus" right now in the green hour challenges; I can't wait to show these pictures to the girls.
And thanks so much for sharing the link. We are definitely going to have to drive down there and check it out! :)
How fun! Thanks for sharing the pictures and I love your comments on each one, put a smile on my face.
thanks for the post. my boys just gathered around the computer to experience those birds. and the photos were lovely. we'll have to add the tracy aviary to our itinerary when we next visit the wasatch.
What a great Aviary. So many different birds to see. Sounds like fun!
Hey, that orange bird wall looks strangely familiar... (is it the same one on Cellista's blog?)
This brings back so many memoroes of the bird section of the Boise Idaho zoo. I need to get me and the kids to an aviary! And your flamingos have a very cute attitude going on there. =)
What a fun place to visit! So fun to see how your kids match up to the bird sizes in the last photo.
I just found your blog through Cellista's blog and I love it! We are doing the green hour challenges too, and birds are our focus right now. I love your photos. You have motivated me to take my kids to the Tracy Aviary next week. It has been way too long since we've been.
You guys do the funnest things. Where do you get the energy!!!? I have never heard of that place. How neat!
Great post, too bad we couldn't meet up! You make the aviary sound so exciting, I love all your descriptions!
I found out about the pelicans, I'll be posting later on today.
:)
I was so glad to read your comments on my blog!
It looks like you had a great time. And talk about great pictures, you are a very good photographer.
Post a Comment