Apr 28, 2008

We Have Butterflies!!

Painted Lady butterflies, to be exact.

Sunday morning when I looked into the habitat I saw the first of our four butterflies coming out of the shell. It FREAKED me out. I'm not sure why, I guess I wasn't expecting it. Our church meetings start at 9am, so in between bowls of cereal, brushing teeth and hair and finding shoes, we watched two more butterflies being born. Truly amazing. The fourth "hatched" this morning. We are going to release them outside in a couple of days. It has been incredible to watch them change. If you haven't tried this at home yet, we highly recommend it. We got everything we needed for this here. Sorry the last pictures didn't turn out very well. My camera was bugged by the mesh of the habitat.



7 comments:

Becky J. said...

Wow, that really is incredible! God's creations never cease to amaze me, especially because he made every creature so different from others and he's so creative with them! How fun that your kids got to experience the entire process!

Montserrat said...

It truly is miraculous! I'm amazed you got pictures for every step of the process. How fun!

Allison said...

congratulations on the new arrivals!

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures! We need to do this sometime. Our library did monarchs last summer, a whole bunch of them. It was cool to go every week and see the changes. Then they released them all at once on the plaza one day. It was amazing to see.

Bertie said...

That is so cool!! And they all finally turned! I'm so glad you didn't send the 4th one out to be as bird food- because it did turn out! Way to keep up your faith and hope:)

How fun!!

Sonja said...

Oh Bertie, I'm so sorry to have to tell you this...I should have mentioned this in my post, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

There were actually 5 caterpillars. The 5th one did die. :c

Tammy said...

This is so exciting! We are still waiting for our ladybug larvae and caterpillars to come. Hopefully soon......... :)