A few weeks ago, some friends asked if we were going to take a spring break with school. "No", I told them. "My kids don't really need a break. That's not the way we are structured." When Monday came around, I found MYSELF needing a break. So, we put away Saxon and Language Arts and exchanged them for math games and fun writing and reading.One of the things I'm learning about homeschool is that you never need to take a break from learning. This is true of ANY school, right? For some reason though, when I was younger I was SO ready to shut my brain off for spring and summer break.
I've been thinking a lot about our little caterpillars. You've probably heard this before--the patience it takes to undergo a metamorphic change. The miracle that it is. How there is an instinctive desire to become something more than you are. I thought of all the milestones my kids have made so far. Learning to speak and walk. It is instinctive. In so many ways, we are the pupa, waiting to emerge as butterflies.
It's funny, people have made these same observations and have drawn similar parallels- and I've read them and I'm probably going to repeat them word for word . BUT the big difference is now that I'm really observing it on my own, it feels original. I'm really excited about it and these observations have made a much bigger impression on me, and I think my children, than just reading about them.
One of our caterpillars has not turned into a chrysalids. It did not grow like the others did. But it hasn't died. It's still trying to climb up the walls of the cup. It circles around and around. I've tried to help it out by putting some sticks and leaves for it to crawl up. It even escaped from the cup a few times.
It is not changing, but it is not giving up. It's not programmed to give up.
My husband thinks I should just let it go outside. I'm sure the birds would love that. Maybe it is the right thing to do. Should I really be imposing my own emotions on this little caterpillar that may have been destined to be bird food? Maybe that is its life's purpose and I'm hindering it from reaching its full potential.
But what if it just needs a little more time to develop? That is the question that is holding me back from offering the poor creature up as prey.
Nature doesn't think like I do. I realize that. But I have to live with myself. We have the ability to be compassionate. Nature can not be.
Enough! I'm on spring break! I'm not suppose to think too deeply!
So, on to the kids and family. We went to the library for fun activities. We are reading good books.
One of Sam and Elise's favorites this week was "Kids Make History: A New Look at America's Story, " by Susan Buckly and Elspeth Leacock.
We're also really enjoying, "Little Britches," by Ralph Moody as our read aloud book.
We are outside learning and taking care of our garden.
We are still playing piano.
We are cleaning. (Oh, not as much as I would like) But we did take out some toys that have been hibernating. It's like getting brand new toys!
Sam was loving his marble run.

We celebrated my brother Mark's, graduation from BYU Idaho. I went to my brother Mika's band gig.

Sam wrote a play about sisters. (Go figure)

We found out that my sister, Erica, is going to have a girl in August (She has a little boy right now). We are so excited for her and her husband! We firmed up plans to go to Zions the last week in May. We are reviewing our Story of the World cards and remembering Shamsi-adad, Ashurbanipal, Nebuchadnezzar, The Minoans, Cyrus, Greece and Sparta, Eygypt, etc. It's fun to see how much we remember. Sam and Jeremy started their pinewood derby cars. We are learning about energy conservation. We recently signed up for recycling. Woo hoo!
The weather has been colder and very windy. So windy that the mountains are often hidden by all the dust. We are hoping for warmer, more consistent weather soon.
Scripture Study: to Moroni 7
We are so thankful that Moroni decided to write more; That he was preserved to be able to write more. It is a tremendous tribute to his character that Moroni dedicates these final writings to his enemy, the Lamanites, "...that perhaps they may be of worth unto my bretheren...in some future day, according to the will of the Lord."
It is awesome to think that every time we hear the sacrament prayer, it is the very same prayer the Savior taught to the people in ancient America. Sam is looking forward to receiving the priesthood. Elise and Claire are looking forward to being baptized. Chapters 3 and 6 teach us about those ordinances.
Chapter 7 is one of my favorite passages of scripture. Probably yours too, right? I love the thought of Moroni hanging on to this letter from his father to the very end. Who was Mormon teaching when he wrote this? It seems that very few at that time were listening.
We read about knowing good from evil after I wrote this.
We are memorizing Moroni 7:47 "But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him."
I have to include verse 48 here (even though we aren't memorizing it, yet):
Wherefore, my beloved brethern, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.



7 comments:
If I remember right scientist don;t even know how the caterpillars make their change into butterflies.
Enjoy "Little Britches"!
I love your thoughts about caterpillars. The idea that we each "have an instinctive desire to become something more than we are" is something I have thought about a lot. It is so true that no matter how often we have heard something nothing brings a truth home more succinctly than observing it in our own lives. Thanks for the "deep" thoughts. ; )
Even though you "took a break" it sounds like a lot of learning went on. I sometimes think more learning happens when it isn't scheduled. Learning just happens when happens.
I agree with sea star! My kids seem to process things better and are much more CREATIVE when they get time off. Learning when it's all about fun is the best! Thanks for the insight!!
moroni 7 is one of my favorites, too. when i was young, my family memorized vs. 45-48 and i've never forgotten them.
i would suggest that you weren't actually shutting your brain off in the summer as a child--you were just tired of seat work. even at play (traditional play, not video game play,) kids are learning. but you knew that!:) i've been trying to decide how to do our summer. i'd like to continue to do some math drills, manipulatives, of course lots of reading, and catch up on history. we'll be adding in swimming lessons, keeping piano, martial arts, and cub scouts. and we like to spend any free afternoon at my in-laws' pool. i'm wondering if that's too much? perhaps we'll just take one week off for an unstructured play week--but my kids do better with structure anyway. i guess i'm just feeling guilty about not taking a summer break. help me out!
i love that you are rooting for your late blooming caterpillar. that's part of what makes you a good mom.
we'll look for those books on our library day this week. thanks for the suggestions.
So many great things to think about with this post. ;)
I love your thoughts on the caterpillar.....
Little Britches is a favorite of ours.
Your spring break sounds a bit like ours was. The "official" learning was slowed down a bit, but we learned all week long anyway, just in a different form.
I may never be able to build my chrysalis but I'm glad I have the opportunity to keep trying. =)
That last picture is so darling.
You guys sound super busy even if you are "taking a break" and it looks like you are having lots of fun.
Post a Comment