I have a third grader!!
The list that came up after I googled "third grade plot" included writing tips for teachers, content standards and third graders plot to murder teacher. Is this just a sensationalized isolated incident? Or an indication of the direction our society is headed?
I shudder at the thought.
The reaction from some experts is that the children probably wouldn't have gone through with the murder. Oh, that makes me feel lots better. Isn't it horrifying enough that 8,9 and 10 year-olds thought through the details? Enough to assign clean-up?? The reports indicate that these children came from good homes. The children did not have a previous history of violence. The attack was in retaliation to being disciplined for standing on a chair. What was the discipline? Could it really have been enough to ignite such a violent reaction? It's April and most of the school year is over. I'm going to assume that this wasn't the first time someone was disciplined. Were the parents not involved in the discipline process?
I know it doesn't do any good to raise a bunch of hypothetical questions. What we should be asking ourselves is: What can we learn from this? How can we prevent this in the future? And probably the most immediate question should be: How can we best help these children and their families with out taking away the consequence? It does not help them if we place the blame on medication, video games, not enough attention at home, or supervision at school. While those factors may or may not have influenced their decision, we learn from our mistakes by accepting the consequence of them.
I'm a little concerned with the statement made by the director of the Barton Juvenile Defender Clinic at Emory University School of Law, Randee Waldman:
"Children so young often aren't considered competent to stand trial because they lack the maturity to understand even the basics of the legal system. They may also be deemed too young to have had criminal intent."
I'm not sure what more it would take to show that these children had criminal intentions, short of actually committing murder. We all can hope against hope that they probably would not have followed through with their plans. But I bet that doesn't help the teacher sleep any better.
While the whole thing is just terribly sad and scary, I think the bigger tragedy would be to miss the lessons that can be learned because we're too afraid of the truth.
We've been enjoying the stimulating, care-free, responsibility-free, self centered tune of the Pied Piper. If we are not careful, he will lead our children away with the same captivating song.
8 comments:
That makes me sick to my stomach, especially being a former public educator. That article hit the nail on the head, we're trying to solve problems in schools that need to be solved at home by responsible parents. I wish I could've spent my 4 years teaching simply doing just that, teaching. But I found myself trying to instill morals into many children and raising them instead of just educating them. Alright, I'll get off my soapbox before I really get started, but I agree that it's gotten way out of hand. Sad.
This is truly tragic- and I agree Sonja- we have to face reality, and learn from our mistakes made. Great post!
scary. truly frightening. no one wants to be held accountable anymore. good and evil have become relative. we just have to hope that what we are doing with our kids will make a difference in the world. i know that it will in their lives.
I worry about things like this too.
All I can think of is to hug my girls tightly, give them love, raise them with values, pray, and hope there are others out there raising good kids as well.
The world is going to need some of these kids to have values when their generation is running things.
Scary.....
That's a scary thing to think about! I think that might be part of the problem too... many times it's easier to just NOT think about it. Maybe these problems will just go away- but they won't. Makes me more aware of what I might or might not be teaching my children.
I wonder if something as simple as a parent asking, "How was your day? Do you like your teacher? What have you and your friends been doing?" and other basic questions could have brought this to light sooner. I remember telling my mom that I had to drop music class because I had actually begun imagining ways to kill him just to get him to stop talking (though I was 17 and not 9, but still).
Too often parents just pick up their kids, ask only one question, and then dig into homework and chores with their kids. Maybe the subconscious thought is that no news (from your kid) is good news. I have an understanding with my kids that I get to ask LOTS of questions about what happens at school and they have to tell me honestly or I will come to school and follow them. Come to find out, in one of these dicsussions, my sweet daughter had started joining certain friends of hers in bullying another girl. If I hadn't asked she might never have told me and we wouldn't have been able to work through it and get her out of that trap.
Sorry for being so...dramatic there at the end. I actually first started out the post with a big freak out. I tried to tone it down, but this stuff is outrageous.
It's easy to get caught up in the media frenzy and start to believe that the whole world is mad. Thanks for reminding me that there are many, many wonderful people who are doing good, good things with their families. :)
Post a Comment