Phew, it does feel good to just scream sometimes. Even if it is vicariously through my fingers.
We have been really trying hard with our garden. Weeding, watering, and tending. BUT, we're green and still learning, obviously.
AND I ALWAYS HAVE TO LEARN THE HARD WAY! It's my way of learning things. Dang it.
So a few days ago I found this mound of dirt by my cilantro. I thought it was a mole. I covered up the hole in the mound. The next day there was another hole! Today, I saw the culprit. A gopher. Once again, DANG IT! I can't even squish spiders. But I HAVE to get rid of this thing or it is going to eat all of our hard work and money! We are already down one whole cilantro plant. WHY ME??
The thought of that dirty, rotten, (and kinda cute), little varmint eating MY strawberry plants and having babies that will eat everything else, just makes me sick.
Enough to want to squish it.
Oh yeah, this means war. Cocoa, didn't you write a post about how your family deals with varmints? :)
Anyone else have an effective (and humane) method of gopher elimination?
Public Enemy #1

9 comments:
Green Light says,
There's a clever little product called "Shake Away" that might help you. Used to use it down on the farm....
Go here:
http://www.critter-repellent.com
Should do the trick.
If that doesn't work.
Go Here:
http://johnafacade.files.wordpress.com/2007/03
/beartrap.gif
If that doesn't work...
Use TNT.
Move to Texas maybe? I don't think we have gophers here! Just a though;)
Well there's three ways we get rid of the lead poisoning (that's the funnest), setting traps (the girls get paid 25 cents per gopher), or sprinkling poison down the hole and hoping that works.
Good luck with getting rid of the creature!
I'm impressed you got a picture of it! We have some over here too that go down the street in the backyards. Grrr! I feel your pain, but I can't imagine having to see it eeat my garden! Good luck!!!
I can relate- I bought a flat of lettuce and broccoli to plant and before I got it in the ground, some little creature ate the whole tray! I am so mad today!
I remember my dad hitting moles over the head with shovels when we lived in Washington. I wouldn't be able to do that. Would Jeremy? Just kidding. I like the trap idea. Unless of course you have to buy a trap. Then I like the poisoning idea...... Ok, Ok, I can't even squish a bug either. Good Luck!
Maybe you could pray for hawks. Or snakes. But not any kinds that would eat baby birds.
Your cilantro looks tasty! I don't blame the #%$^@! gopher!
Oh no! I have a hard time even squashing spiders in the house, I can't imagine having to get rid of something fuzzy... Good luck, though.
yikes! critters like that didn't occur to me when i embarked on a garden this year. if it was me, i would avoid the poison, because you're putting it in the same soil in which you are growing food for your family. traps sound like a better plan to me. tell us what happened!
Post a Comment