We had quite an adventure exploring parts of the beautiful state of Utah this weekend. I think we must have had some sort of time expander put on us, because the past three days feel like they have been at least 10 days.And I still have to report on the school work we've done. We have read some fantastic books that we want to review for you (including Little Britches). I WILL write that post soon!
We took a big risk this weekend and went down to Arches National Park. We've never been and have been wanting to go so badly. We left early Saturday. Not early enough. After searching for a camp site for a long time we gave up and just hiked up to Delicate Arch. The throngs of other visitors did not take away from the incredible experience of hiking in that wonderland. We were blown away (almost literally--it was very windy) by the strange landscape.




We spent the rest of the day exploring the park and picnicking.















Then we came home to camp in the lovely Hobble Creek Canyon. It was so FUN! We hiked in the canyon, saw a few stars, enjoyed the babbling brook, loved our s'mores and yummy chicken and potatoes cooked over the fire (that Sam started), and also just loved our time together away from everything. Elise particularly liked finding small, slimy creatures.






Sometime early this morning it started to rain. The light shower turned into a down pour by the time the kids woke up. We waited inside the tent for the rain to go away. Jeremy and I were thankful that it did not leak too much, but the rain persisted. So we reluctantly packed up all our wet, muddy things and went home.
Do you want to know what heaven is? It's taking a hot shower after 2 days of camping and especially after coming home cold and wet.
This is what a rainy morning stuck in a tent after 2 days of camping looks like, so I don't buy all that non-greasy, perfectly clear complexion on Lost:






Despite the rain, ticks, dust, wind and mosquitoes, we LOVED camping and
(please forgive me)
we're ready for S'more!




How do you like your marshmallows?
And now I'm looking over the MOUNTAIN of laundry and thinking, it might be a while before I get that other post up, because I've got to tackle my least favorite part (that's right, not the bugs, rain, mud, or lack of shower)...
CLEANING UP!

14 comments:
That looks like so much fun! We've never taken the kids camping because it seems so intimidating, but you guys make it look easy. :) I'm glad you had such a great vacation!
I LOVE camping! The scenery is just gorgeous. Can't wait to read your review of Little Britches.
Ok, if I ever go to Utah to camp I am calling you guys so we can do it together! =)
Living over here, we get rained out of every single camping trip we go on. But it is part of the fun, seeing how fast we can pack up before drowning.
Those photos are fantastic.
Camping and hiking and all sounds so fun. The Laundry however.... doesn't. Good luck!
Oh what a beautiful trip! We drove through southern Utah once on our way to Denver from Las Vegas and we had to stop a few times along the way because the scenery was so breath taking. Now I want to go camp in Utah!
Looks like you had so much fun! I've still never been to Arches and can't believe it, so I'm glad your kiddos don't have to say the same in 20 years. And you look beautiful no matter how many days without a shower, Sonja! Sorry you got rained out, but I'm glad you had fun while you were there.
Those are some great photos!! It looks like a fun trip, although I don't envy you camping in the rain. I remember pouring rain once when we were trying to pack up our campsite up in Midway. Nobody else in the family remembers though, they think I made it up. Anyway...
Here's a fun link to make photo mosaics, I thought you might like (but don't spend all day there!)
http://www.bighugelabs.com/flickr/mosaic.php
It's fun to do with lots of different photos. And I'll share what I got at the convention, I'm just not even supposed to be on the computer right now, the kids are at Grandma's so I can clean out the closets and toys today!
What a fun weekend! I want to go next time!
How fun! What nice photos. I love those areas of Utah, so beautiful. Sorry about the rain, but glad you had fun anyway.
I've to those places too! It's not warm enough for me to go camping yet but I've got it in the summer plans. Love your pictures!
we went camping this weekend, too! and the mountains of laundry are still looming over me. some of them are clean now, but need to be returned to their drawers. yuk.
it looks like fun was had by all, though. great pictures of arches.
What a fun trip and you guys are such troopers to camp in the rain! We need to do a trip like that!
Ice Cream and Loretta~ (and every one else, for that matter) you can come camping with us anytime!!
Becky~ I think you didn't enlarge the picture, but I love you for saying that. :)
Cellista~ I've been wanting to know how to do those mosaics. Thank you for the link! Plus, I can see how your folks might want to block out the memory of a rainy camping trip! ;)
Wow what a fun trip! I studied in that park in graduate school! You are such a fun family! I need to get into the camping thing- but I have to admit, I didn't camp much as a child-so I am not sure all of the logistics. My kids are begging me to do it. I want to spend two months in Utah this year (while in-laws are on a mission-using their house) so I want to do all of these fun things, and go to all of the amazing parks!
Post a Comment