Jun 30, 2008

Mécaniques Célestes

On our first date, Jeremy took me to a French film called, "Mécaniques Célestes." It was the beginning of October I think, and the cool, misty, autumn days of Western Washington had chased away the warmer, misty summer days.

The movie won me over for a couple of reasons. First, it was a foreign film. Second, it was about an aspiring opera singer, who flees the wedding alter in Venezuela and flies to France in her wedding gown to realize her dream of singing. (She vies for the lead in "La Cenerentola by Rossini"). Lastly, it was shown in this charming, turn-of-the-century theater in Tacoma.

After the movie we went to Red Robin, ate fries, and talked about keeping it real. Which, of course, was very funny considering I was trying very hard to be "cool" (when he asked what my favorite color was, I told him it was red--the deep red color of blood) and he had just taken me to a French film called "Celestial Clockwork."

Despite the impressive first date, I didn't know if he was my "type." I guess I've always preferred I little bit of a wild streak and I didn't see it at first in this very handsome, well mannered, easy-going guy.

It didn't take long to find that wild streak though. Happily, Jeremy can be almost as crazy as me. And to prove it, we became engaged after just 3 months of dating.

After a brief semester away to appease my parents, and also my conscience, I came back and we planned for a June wedding. Really, the whole June wedding thing wasn't what we were going for. We just wanted to be married and June was the earliest available month. See? Crazy.

And young. We were sooo young. And bright eyed, naive, and absolutely in love.

I knew though, that he would be a good husband and father. He served an honorable mission. He was kind to his parents. He was kind to my parents. He treated me with respect and consideration. He was smart and talented. He made me want to be a better person.

He was that irresistible good guy that every girl wants.

So, June 28, 1997 we were married in the Seattle Temple. The day was a blur of happy faces, camera flashes, white lace and cake. My cheeks were sore for days afterward from all the smiling.

11 years have passed since that happy day. Those 11 years have been filled with so many other happy days and adventures. There have been a few sad days and stressful days. It seems that every time we pass through those days I discover a new definition love.

I marvel and stand in awe of the whole thing. We are two very imperfect and different people. But we are working toward a perfect end. And the love keeps growing and changing. I know that I was very lucky the day that Jeremy came into that little baggage store in the mall and asked for my phone number. I'm sure he didn't have a clue what he was getting himself into.

We do balance each other I think. He makes me a little more sane and I make him a little more crazy.

And that celestial clock keeps ticking away the days and years that I will treasure for eternity.

14 comments:

Montserrat said...

Happy Anniversary!

Somehow I can't picture you as being too crazy.

Michal said...

i love the then and now pictures, and i always love hearing about the courtship of others.
we were married just a couple of months later than you guys. i guess that means our 11th anniversary is coming up.

Alan and Jeni said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved reading your post and seeing the photos. You guys are a great couple! Here's to eternity!

nicole said...

That was besutiful, Sonja. Happy 11 years! You two are such a wonderful couple - just perfect together - and an inspiration to all!

Sea Star said...

Happy Anniversary!

My husband and I dated for only 3 months before we got engaged as well. I guess you just know and why wait.

Loretta and Richie said...

Happy 11 years, Sonja. I seemed to miss the part in that happy story where the "best friend" mentioned "that's the type of guy I could see you marrying," and the fact that the best friend made such a statement before the luggage store show down. Ok, I'll let it slide since it is your anniversary and your story. Congratulations to both of you! A great movie quote comes to mind: "mawiage is what bwings us togevew today."

Anonymous said...

When Aliens from outer space show up and say, "Take us to the best looking folks on this planet" and after being offended that the Aliens were uninterested in me, I'll take them to your house.

You guys glow!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I like stories with happy endings! Your pictures are great too. You looked so young! Not that you don't look fabulous now. :)

You think you're crazy? Not at all, we got engaged after dating for only 2 weeks! And we have our 11th coming up in August.

Amber M. said...

What a wonderful post. And happy, happy anniversary.

Tony and I dated for 3 months before we got engaged as well. When you know, you just know:-)

Sarah said...

Happy Anniversary!! You two are so cute!

Becky J. said...

Happy 11 years to you! You two are so cute together and obviously still very much in love even a decade later. That's exactly how I hope we'll be! Thanks for setting the standard high for the rest of us. :)

Cranberryfries said...

What fun reminiscing. Happy 11 yr anniversary!

Angela said...

This is so sweet....I love seeing the pics. We were married on the 29th...so we will all celebrate!

Meridith said...

You write things so truthfully and upfront. I love hearing your story and it makes me feel more gratitude for my own husband as well.