Jun 22, 2008

Weekly Report: Whirlwind

First of all, I really want to thank everyone for the supportive comments on my whiny post! I felt so much better just getting it out and then especially after all the consoling pats on my bloggy back. Thanks!!!

Last week was incredibly busy and a little trying...BUT, I have a feeling it's going to feel real good to type it all out and see it outside of my head. My apologies, in advance...it's going to be a long post.

I've been getting up at 6:30am to go jogging which has really helped me to go to bed earlier. Thank you Sunny! Also, the girls have been sleeping better. By Friday I was sleeping 8 hours and it sure has made a difference.

Everyone else wakes up about 7:30am and at 8:45am we hop on our bikes and headed to swim lessons. Even Anna and I get to swim! We signed up for the parent-toddler class. It's been so fun! That's what we did every morning Mon.-Thurs. and we will do it this week too.

We have charts! And thanks to Cocoa, we have a Cool Summer Days chart that my kids just love. Mine is no where near as cool as hers, but hey...it's what we got. (Remember, clear contact paper drives me insane.)


We continue to do our writing. Just for fun, I compared Sam and Elise's first entry in their journal to their last and was pleased to see improvement:



Math: We're almost done!! 10 more lessons to go.

Science: Elise was curious about why balls bounce, so we made our own rubber band ball and talked about how when the ball hits the ground the rubber is stretched a little, before it bounces back up and returns to its normal length. Sam and Elise were pretty fascinated that the rubber stores the energy, from the brief stretching, which provides the energy to bounce the ball back up into the air.

Now if only I could store some of my kids excess energy....I'd be rich AND I'd be able to eat all the goodies I want and be thin!!


We are getting ready for a trip to the State Capitol. So we are learning about our state's history. Sam and Elise made posters.

We are also learning about constellations. We made these star wheels. While we are in Salt Lake we plan to go to the Clark Planetarium.

We had lots of fun on Wednesday swimming with some friends:



I also had the delightful opportunity to meet some fellow bloggers and homeschoolers at a book club meeting Wednesday night. Claudia is wonderful and it was so good to discuss one of my favorite books, Little Britches, and all things home school and parenting. What a treat!

After swimming lessons on Thursday we went to the library. Sam and Elise participated in the library's Science Adventure camp. They learned about optics and came home with a few optical illusions.

I am getting together 72 hour food kits for Relief Society. So my minuscule kitchen is over flowing with snack food that my kids are not used to seeing. It's like torture, they tell me. I feel like I am being tortured with the constant barage of pleadings for just one little snack or treat.

Tuesday can't come soon enough.

The good news is, we were able to these items for $10 a kit. And most of it is relatively healthy and good tasting.


Jeremy made good on his word and bought us another car last weekend. Hooray!! Now I will have a van again, as soon as we get this car to pass inspection.


The highlight of the week was being able to go see Little Women, the Broadway Musical at Hale Center Theater in Orem. We splurged and brought, Sam, Elise and Claire too. (Anna stayed home with a babysitter) Everyone LOVED it. It was....astonishing. If you live in the area, I highly recommend going to see this fabulous musical!


On to the garden escapades. Well, every one is being very civil about the whole situation. There was an unfortunate incident. A few days ago, while they were digging in the back, the contractors accidentally cut our phone line. It was fixed and all is well. Except for our sunflowers and one bell pepper plant.

Before




Water wars with the neighbors. Now that the fence is down, we're getting to know each other.


Scripture Study: 1 Nephi up to chapter 19
Don't you think it's amazing how the scriptures relate to our lives? I mean, this week I had a few challenges and then we read about Nephi being bound by his brothers in the ship! Talk about challenges! And those poor, stubborn brothers. Their hearts were so hard that the pleadings of their sick mother and father did not move them. Not even the cries of Nephi's wife and children. Only the threat of destruction would cause them to to repent and unloose Nephi. The thing I find interesting is that the Lord continues to spare Laman and Lemuel. But I guess it goes back to seeing the whole picture. They were needed, and there was probably some good in them somewhere. Or perhaps it was the prayers of their parents that saved them. Regardless, I found much strength this week in Nephi's courage and strength and his continued patience and love for his brothers, despite the trials.

4 comments:

Loretta and Richie said...

I love that i read your blog and feel like I spent some of the week with you. Thanks for the great updates. Miss you! Hope you continue to have a fun summer! Are you guys taking lessons at the vet pool or the Rec center? I used to teach at both. What memories!

Montserrat said...

Good for you for going jogging. I seem to go in cycles with my exercising. I do really well for a bout a month then stop for a week so it's hard to start back up again.

Your Cool Summer Days looks great! I've been thinking about redoing mine because I'm getting tired of the bright yellow.

How much longer do you have before your 72 hour kits get put together? We did that at the beginning of the year with our ward and it took all the extra closet space and garage space I had to store it all before we got around to canning them at the ward activity. It was a HUGE success though. People like doing them because it's something easy to put together for emergencies.

Anonymous said...

Hurray for a car!!!!
I absolutely love the Broadway Little Women. My mom took me for my birthday a few years ago. It was wonderful.
We made some 72-hr kits like that too. I have to keep them hidden from the boys. :)
And that's great improvement in the journals!! I seriously need to step up our writing next year. And good job jogging, I seriously need to start exercising too. You're so good!

Ice Cream said...

Your cool days of summer chart looks fab! And I respect you so much for all the family bike riding you do.

We made 72 hour kits for RS many years ago, but I made the terrible mistake of not completely finishing one of them in time and took it home to finish. Can you guess what happened? I got the munchies...