Why are homes so expensive? I mean, if we really think about this, it's ridiculous. I am perfectly happy to pay someone for their labor and for quality materials. But is it reasonable for someone to ask $1,300 a month for a home that was built 30 years ago and has not been updated or even well kept? On top of this, they want you to eventually BUY their home and pay through the nose for it.The whole house hunting thing has been very frustrating. (Michal, I would LOVE to buy your parents' home.) We have been home owners. And yes, we benefited from the exorbitant home inflation 5 years ago. Twice, actually. It wasn't something we expected or sought. But, now that we are in the reverse situation, I want the market to be in our favor again, dang it.
We are committed to being out of our current home September 30, because there is a lovely young couple who wants to rent our place. This is good. We have a deadline. I like deadlines. I actually work better under stress. Not that I haven't been stressed about this for a year now.... :)
And for some reason, when my mind is preoccupied like this, chocolate chips enter my body without me even knowing about it. Seriously. Dave Barry hit it on the nail when he said:"The problem with human bodies is that they're based on a design that is eons old. Our bodies believe that any day now, we'll have another Ice Age, and there won't be any more food, so they need to store up lots of fat. So while our brains are in the 21st century, wanting desperately to lose weight, forcing us to eat salads and engage in bizarre cult activities such as ''Pilates,'' our bodies are back in 12,000 B.C., thinking: `I made 6 more ounces of fat today! Bring on the glaciers!''
I am, however, combating the chocolate chip invasion with daily jogs. Jogging also really helps my poor, overwrought little brain sort things out.
I've been debating on whether or not to write my thoughts on Stephanie Meyer's new book, Breaking Dawn. I didn't think I'd give it a fair review, as I was reading Dickens' Bleak House before and after. I think we can all agree, even you big time Meyer fans, that she is not in the same league as Charles Dickens, right? We read about vampires for fun and fluff and endure the teenie bopper language because the plot is engaging. Big deal.Then yesterday, our 11 year old neighbor came over and gushed about Breaking Dawn. To be fair, she is years older than her actual age, but I was aghast. I saw the book in a different light. The thought, "Would I let my kids read this book?" came to mind and it was frightening. I have been an enthusiastic supporter of this series for the last 3 books, but Breaking Dawn sort of changed that for me. In my opinion, the series and ESPECIALLY the last book is for adults. Married adults. There are some things in the last book that bothered me and the more I think about them, the more they bother me.
Hey, if you want a book that speaks about love on MANY different, real levels in a thought provoking and very uplifting way, Bleak House is the book for you! It is now one of my very favorite books. Mystery, romance, culture, murder, suspense, plot twists, and a heroine that will make you want to cheer and weep for her, she is so honest, sensible and good. The BBC mini-series is excellent too and follows the book pretty closely. Dickens is a genius.
Someone likes my blog! And this fine compliment means all the more to me considering the source. Amber M. is one of the treasures I have found through blogging. She blogs about her darling family (she also has a Sam and Anna!), her great Target finds (see all the cute Visiting Teaching gifts she makes with them), her beautiful handmade items (that she gives away!), and her recipes, and I could go on...needless to say, I am grateful for this gem of a friend blogging has given me.
I am leaving tomorrow. My sister is having her baby and I am very excited. I get to stay with my darling nephew while she brings that new little life into the world. Oh! I can't wait to see my sweet niece. There is nothing like the freshness of new life. I've been thinking about her and her family a lot these past few days.Jeremy, bless him, is taking a few days off from work to stay with the kids. They are looking forward to their "substitute teacher." Maybe I will convince him to do the weekly report this week. That ought to be good. :o
Phew...I do feel a little relieved to get these thoughts out. Now, on to the laundry and children!
* the found type (images of letters and numbers) on this post are from Jeremy's flickr account.
11 comments:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who eats chocolate chips when stressed, or just for a snack for that matter.
I totally agree about Breaking Dawn. It was just blech in my opinion. My oldest has read the first three books but I won't allow her to read the last book. She didn't seem to mad about it either. I think she understands that I let her read them for fluff reading. She actually said all the "lovey dovey" stuff made her sick. I told her to hold that thought for at least 5 -6 more years. :)
I forgot to tell you that I love the new format of your blog. The two sidebars are very nice in organizing all your homeschool stuff.
Wow! Good Luck with the deadline. We are still grateful that you guys may be moving closer to us! I've noticed that people are trying to rent out there houses at a price that will cover their mortgages and not what is fair Utah market. You would think that desperation to rent would drive the prices down a bit. Hmm.
How wonderful that you get to go be with Erica! In my opinion, there is nothing closer to heaven than being with a new baby. Good Luck to the "Substitute." I'm sure Jeremy will appreciate you even MORE than he already does after you return!
i wish you could buy that house (or that it was even in the same state!) you would love it, and so would your kids.
the cost of homes is depressing. even more depressing is our negative equity on a california home. i guess we'll be in this home a few more years than we'd planned. that's okay, though, since we are learning to be content with the life the lord has given us.
i haven't read the stephanie meyers books. i've resisted because 1)i have way to many classics on my too read list and 2)i am generally disappointed when everyone has hyped up a book. it's interesting that the last book sounds more adult--isn't it supposed to be youth fiction? or is it young adult? anyway . . . i appreciate your review.
and i am a chocolate chip binging queen. love those things. and they just slide down so easily, it seems impossible that they could hold so many calories!
Well I just have to say that all of this is a sign that you need to come move right next to me!
It is all about Texas, Sonja!:) Houston imparticular- great prices, for great square footage! Come on over and I'll host you and watch your kids while you come and look around:) You amaze me in all you do! Have fun with your nephew and new sweet niece:)
There is a darling house for sale right down the street from me...
I totally agree with your take on Breaking Dawn...if I have my way, my Anna won't be reading this until she has children of her own. Seriously.
You make me blush...I am so grateful to have found you, too!
I miss getting to socialize with you. I feel so far away sometimes since we're all in different callings now. Good luck on finding a place. My aunt is a great Realtor in the city Jeremy works, if you're looking for a house around there. Let me know!
I too love your blog! I would give you an award too! I really hope you find a house- come be my next door neighbor! But this is the land of high priced junky 200 year old houses, that need to just be ran over! Have fun at your sisters!
Have a great trip!!! Let us know how Jeremy does teaching :) Last time my dh "substitute taught" they were at it from 9-4. They're so lucky to have me!
I haven't read Stephenie Meyer either, I'm like Michal--too many great books out there to read, plus I hate getting sucked into a series. And your house hunting woes are trying to tell you--move closer to cellista!! I hear you though on prices, we'll probably move next summer and the whole housing thing just puts my stomach in knots. Good luck!
Fellow Wonder Years readers:
"A heroine that will make you want to cheer and weep for her, she is so honest, sensible and good."
Does that quote remind anyone else of the author of this blog?
I would describe the author the same way.
I love your blog, too!
I'm still waiting to post my review on the twilight books. Not sure if I'm ready for that. =)
Now I must read Bleak House.
Post a Comment