
Cocoa is hosting Wordfull Wednesday, and this week's topic is: Inner Beauty. May I recommend that you read her post on the subject. It is beautiful and as the mother of 6 daughters, very heart felt. And if you'd like to add your two cents, hop on over and link away!
What is the first thing you notice about someone when you meet them? Their hair? Their skin? Their clothes?
For me, it's the eyes. This may be because my dad is an ophthalmologist. I grew up around talk of corneas and retinas. I got my first pair of glasses when I was in 4th grade. My first pair of contacts when I was in 7th grade. I had the miracle of Lasik five years ago. I've even worked in an ophthalmic clinic. So, I've spent some time with an eyeball or two.
Their structure is fascinating. But there is something more than structure. Others have noticed it too. Someone once said, "The eyes are the window to the soul." Whether science can confirm this is debatable and not probable. I have observed, however, that I can get a glimpse of a person's inner workings from their eyes.
I have the good fortune of knowing many good, honest, wonderful people. One thing I have noticed about them is their eyes. They are bright. It doesn't matter what color they are, if they are shy or outgoing, how old or young they are, or even if they are be speckled. When people are living righteously, there is something familiar inside their eyes. A sparkle. I often notice this sparkle in children. Their eyes are just bright.
I believe it is a reflection of their inner beauty. Of the bright and divine spirit within. Imagine having a mirror that reflected what was on the inside. It's hard to fake that light. Even the most famous super model can't pretend the genuine luminescence of a pure soul.
I want to protect the bright eyes of my children. I want to teach them to look inwardly and recognize the divinity in themselves. I want to teach my children to recognize that radiance in others so that it doesn't matter so much what is on the outside.
I imagine that over time, little pieces of "dust" can settle over that lamp inside us; Discouragement, doubt, disappointment, sin, and so much more. Clouding our spirit like a cataract. We don't feel confident or happy and it shows in our eyes.
But there is hope! We can call on the doctor of eyes and souls! We can shake off the "dust" and revisit our divine potential by doing those things that bring us closer to God. As we do, our spirit glows,
and our eyes can not contain it.
8 comments:
beautiful beautiful...
eyes are windows to the soul and a way we can see the inner soul of people...
what a lovely take on inner beauty. I am liking this wordfull wednesday!
so well written, sonja. i have to say that the eyes are often the first thing i notice, too. not always color, etc, but the brightness and light within.
bravo!
This is so true! The eyes usually give away how someone is feeling. I really value my eyes because my eyesight is pretty bad but I haven't put much thought into what others see in them. Food for thought...
I just wanted to say how much I love your site - I found it from cocoa. I love the art and music and books you are reading. So much goodness. Thanks for sharing with us.
I love your insights. I have always felt the same about people's eyes. And I absolutely love your wordless wednesday pictures. They are so beautiful!
I agree with you, people who are living well radiate that to others. Great post!
I am a little shy and so it is difficult for me to look people in the eye. Your post has inspired me to pay more attention to peoples soulful windows. Thanks for posting I really enjoyed it.
Great post- The eyes are the window to the soul. I believe that is true. I looked in the mirror yesterday and had a grumpy frown on.....it was so unattractive, eyes drooping etc. Wow- does that have an impact on people. My face was just a reflection of my negative attitude inside. A great reminder here Sonja!
Post a Comment