Sep 24, 2008

Thursday Thirteen: Cool Beans

Here are a few random things that I think are pretty cool and that make me smile. I share them with the hope that they bring you a smile too!

1.
Jeremy found this and it made me laugh. I'm weird I guess, but I have a feeling you will think it's cool too. The best part is at the end.


2. Do you Freecycle? Do you like free stuff? I just learned about this nifty group. I got rid of all my moving boxes and helped someone else out. Perhaps there is a group in your area? It's a great concept. Check it out.

3. Have you ever wondered how 99.9% pure copper is made? Well, wonder no more my friends. Jeremy's neato graphic designing skills helped produce this entertaining 6 min. video that explains how copper goes from Ore to More.

4. I had the great privilege of meeting some terrific blogging ladies last week. It was so neat to meet Cocoa in person after admiring her for so long. She also introduced me to some MORE great ladies. And then I was also able to see Celista, whom I also love and admire and am so glad lives so close to me now! I couldn't stay as long as I would have liked, but it didn't take long for me to realize that these ladies are just as cool in the real world as they are in the blog world. I think I'm going to work on a gianormous blog party for next year. So, if you are reading this, consider yourself invited. :)

5. Here is a picture of our new house. Please come visit us!

6. Here is our new school room:
(it's a work in progress)





Play room:





7. Here is our living room. I can't wait to get nice curtains! (I've already picked some out at Ikea)


8.
My latest photoshop project (since I missed WW): Beautiful Colorado
















9. My current read (excellent and soul searching by the way. I plan on doing a full review when I'm done.) James Ferrell is also the author of The Peace Giver.

10. My feelings about the current economic situation: {{Grrrrrr}}
I did think Bush delivered a convincing speech last night. Not that it made me feel any better. Are you worried? Is your family doing anything different to prepare for a financial crisis?--or are you already prepared? This probably needs to be another post.

11. My kids really like Brain Pop. Right now they are offering free animated clips related to democracy and presidential elections. If you have younger kids be sure to check out Brain Pop, Jr.



12. We had fun trying out new hair styles after reading Cocoa's post on hair.





13.
We've been reading Matthew 5 this week, the Sermon on the Mount. After reading and talking about the beatitudes, (specifically "Blessed are the meek...blessed are the poor in spirit..) we all agreed to try and "be the beatitudes." It has made a world of difference. Especially for my little Anna, who has been struggling with feeling peaceful. We are far from perfect, but when we try, the Lord blesses us so much.


12 comments:

Montserrat said...

I went and checked out Brain Pop. It is so cool! I think I can bribe, er I mean entice, my kids to finish their school work with the "prize" of playing brain pop at the end.

Are you enjoying your new house? The rooms look nice and comfy.

Michal said...

thanks for posting pictures of your new house. i love being able to picture you in your space.

as for the current economy . . . i've been thinking about posting on the topic. i wish people would recognize that the best way to face the mess we are in is to repent and turn to the lord. i guess my underlying sense of uneasiness/dread about it stems from the fact that i don't think that as a nation we are deserving of the prosperity the lord has given us in the past. but it's not too late! i keep hoping that what my family has done to prepare and to live within our means will be enough--but we are so flawed and in need of god's mercy, even in that area.

Anne said...

Love the video about Ore. Since our paycheck comes from that company, I have to say that I'm glad that your kids have seen how Ore is used and how the entire world relies on it! ;o)

I'm off to check out the other videos! Cool post!

Jessumca said...

I loved that keyboard video! That was so cool and just kinda of hilarious. Tell Jeremy great job on the video he helped with. I don't think they could've made copper more interesting! ;)

Cranberryfries said...

How fun to get to meet fellow bloggers. It's so fun to have followed each other for a while and then get to meet isn't it! So great!

Amber M. said...

Looks like you are getting settled in to your new home. Thanks for sharing pictures!!

That "drum" video is amazing. Sam just started piano lessons two weeks ago and he was wondering when he gets to learn THAT!

Sea Star said...

It looks like you are settling into your new home. It looks nice and roomy. A school room and a play room.... in my dreams I have such niceties!

Thanks for sharing you list. It was fun!

Emily Widdison said...

your new place looks like it is coming along nicely! I'm so happy you have a room for school! Love it!

Angela said...

Love the new house- I can't wait to see what you are going to do with it. You are so organized already. It would take me 6 months with help to get everything up and running already!

Jill Hunt said...

I love the pictures of your new home. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! and it was fun to see you too. Are you all unpacked yet, because we want to get together. :)

We have an idea, I'll call you sometime.

Angela Fehr said...

I love freecycle too - used it to get rid of my maternity clothes and they ended up going to a pregnancy crisis centre which I thought was super great.