We have an incredible woman in our homeschool group who organizes really fun field trips. We are studying Utah state history this year and this field trip was one of a few that I hope will make this great state's history come alive for my kids.Last weekend (while we were still unpacking) Jeremy, Sam and Elise got to go down to Zion National Park with some others from our homeschool group and had a really excellent learning experience.
They drove down in the wee hours of the morning Friday. Met the group, did some hiking, participated in the park's junior ranger program, where they learned about some of the native animals and geology, and then drove to The Village of Many Nations. There they learned about the different Native American tribes living in Utah, participated in activities, dressed up in frontier clothes, listened to an excellent flute player, ate Navajo tacos, roasted marshmallows, and then (the icing on the cake) they got to sleep in a teepee!
Saturday they got to into the "medicine wheel' to "find their new self." These are Sam's words on the experience:
"Well, first, before we could go into the medicine wheel, which is a sacred circle area on the ground, we had to be "smudged." All that means, is we had to have this stick that had smoke coming off it, spread all around us. Then we went into the circle. You can only walk clock-wise into and around the circle. You had to walk around at least once, then as many times until you found a place in the circle that felt right to you. Then you sit down. Then the guide told you that where you chose to sit represented the spirit of an animal."
Sam is a white buffalo, which means he is caring and giving.
Elise is an eagle, which means she is protective and a good provider.
Jeremy is a coyote, which means he likes to play and have fun.
The trip was so well planned and we were given a huge educational discount. My kids came away with a better understanding and respect for other cultures and beliefs, more appreciation for the beautiful landscape that graces this state, and really great bonding time with their dad. Many thanks to Kim for coordinating the whole thing!
6 comments:
What a great weekend. I love all the pics. Can I go on a homeschool field trip? I have been to Zion many times, but never even heard of the Village of Many Nations.
And I have to ask...did you really get any unpacking done with the two little girls at home, and no older kids to help out? If so, you are even more amazing than I already think you are! :)
What an incredible opportunity (and great bonding experience)! Beautiful pictures.
That sounds like the perfect weekend for Dad and the two big kids. It is good to get to do things once in a while without the little ones. My kids are always playing they are Indians. They would have had a blast. I like the picture of Elise and her painted face and Sam with the bow and arrow.
Did you throw out more junk while they were not looking?
Now that's the kind of field trip I would love to take my kids on. So cool!
that looks like a tremendous field trip. what a great experience! how's the unpacking going?
This is is so fun- I really home my kids can have an opportunity to go to Zions. I loved it as a child!
Post a Comment