Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,Over all the fears that make me tremble to my core.
(I thought of wars, I pondered needles and those freaky little beetles,
that I hear will nearly always crawl by hundreds on the floor.)
While I nodded nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis my dear daughter," I muttered, "tapping my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more."
But now my mind was fretting, that some bed she might be wetting,
And I thought of all the laundry that this tapping might produce.
With a sigh, and no relief, from my husband fast asleep
I rose and got my robe on--here I opened wide the door; --
Darkness there, and nothing more.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams every mother's dreamed before;
Was someone in bed reeling? To the hospital I'll be fleeing?
I trembled at thought of blood or vomit on the floor.
I listened in the darkness for a cry, or quiet implore
Only darkness, and nothing more.
Now my mind was racing and the floor I now was pacing,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
My heart was turning, turning, all my soul within me burning--
And the thought, most dis concerning was of a stranger at my door
With my dear ones flying, crying, "Nevermore!" "Nevermore!"
So, while running to their bedroom, trying not to think of "redrum"
I tripped and fell on something in the hall.
'Twas a little motor tractor, whose batteries were a factor
in the poor thing tapping, rapping up against my chamber wall.
This! The very gentle tapping that I heard upon my door,
A Fischer Price toy tractor, only this and nothing more.
Now, quite certain of my error and relieved to say the least,
I went still to find my children sleeping soundly and in peace.
But, sleep, for me was futile as I pondered for a long while
Of my greatest fear, beyond the wars and bugs.
I went again into the darkness to those children I adore,
I'm reminded how I love them now and will forevermore.
This post was written for Chocolate on my Cranium's Wordfull Wednesday.
The topic was: Your worst fear.
29 comments:
I love it! I wish that I could write poems, I am afraid I am quite unskilled in that arena. I enjoy reading yours, though.
You are utterly AMAZING. That is great...
Holy smokes girly, you are talented! Love it!
Very well done, Sonja! Very true too...Biggest fear of mine also!
That was so fun to read! You put into words (poetic words, at that) what I have experienced many times. And even when I know everything is all right, I still have to look in on my children. I guess that's part of being a mother.
I can not convey in writing to someone who does not know me how much I loved your poem. Bravo! You are a writer. I will be blurking your blog!:)
fantastic! you are so talented. I could never come close to writing something like that!
Beautiful!
Poetry is so not my talent. My mother's, yes. Mine, no.
awesome poem.. you rock :)
This is why I wake my husband up Much! So that he can take care of those bad guys I'm sure are out there! I hate thinking about something bad happening to my kids. (My worst fear was a toss up between something happening to them, or my husband. They all share so many pieces of my heart... ) Very cool putting it in a poem! Maybe someday (when the kids are older...or maybe when I can just get 7 hours of straight sleep :D) I can try to be this creative!
Oh Fabulous! I'm sure Poe would approve. Why not?
Sonja,
I am so impressed and proud. You should publish that somewhere.
You have yet another amazing talent.
love,
dad
Great Scott Woman! That was soooo good.
Do you have a day reserved that we can all come over and get your autograph and perhaps some 8X10 glossies?
Everyone knows that great poets aren't crafty.
i have the same fear issues. i just don't express myself as poetically! thanks for putting it inot such beautiful verse.
What a great poem. I smiled as I read it, because I too often go through the worry of a wet bed, throwing up child, etc when I hear a tap at my door. Very creative and fun!!
I'm not supposed to have favorites or campaign for certain posts but boy I loved this :)
So creative!
I can see why you won the contest. So clever. And who doesn't like a well turned rhyme.
Came over to congratulate you on winning the writing contest. Great poem, lovely blog.
You definitely are deserving of the write-away win. That poem was fabulous! It must have been a lot of work to match the meter and tone to Poe. Love it!
Congratulations on winning the write-away! :)
Congrats on your Write-Away win. Your poem was truly deserving. I loved it!
Terrific! Congratulations!
Congrats on winning the contest! LOVED your poem ;)
Hurray for you Sonja! You are on a roll with your talents lately. :) You totally deserve it. A little recognition is nice, eh?
i loved it last year and i love it again now! congrats on winning scribbit's contest. you are, as always, amazing.:)
Wonderful! Bravo! Congrats on the Scribbit win.
I loved it! You very rightfully won the contest!
Wonderful! I have a very potent memory of being scared during the night as a child and it was the SAME thing. Darn electric toys. Very creative presentation.
Congratulations! Funny and yet touching.
Post a Comment