Oct 13, 2008

Simply Scary

I am not much of a "crafter" - or "maker of cute things." Every once in a while I try to stretch myself for my children. They LOVE crafts.

And this is the season of crafts my friends.

Also, who wants to spend lots of money on stuff you only put up once a year? This craft is cheap , thrifty.

Today I'm going to share our simple, yet very scary spiders. These are really easy to make, but are really messy to make, so put down lots of news paper.

First you take some newspaper and scrunch it into the form of a ball.
It does not need to be perfect

Next, paint the "balls" black

We gave up on the brushes and just rolled them around in the paint.
The girls loved it.

After the "balls" dry, wrap some pipe cleaners around for legs
Then glue on some googley eyes.

"Boo!" Now you have some pretty freaking (or friendly) spiders.

This is the "Swamp of Terror" that my kids are working on.
Let the crafting begin!

11 comments:

Amber M. said...

What a darling idea! My kids would love getting down and dirty in the black paint. And putting on millions of eyes?? What a great idea. I guess I'm too anal to be realistic about spiders really having more than two eyes...:-)

Are you getting all settled in your new home?

Brent Hope said...

Way cool!

Amy said...

Nice freakin' spiders.

Bertie said...

Very cute!! Thanks for sharing how to make those scary spideys! My kids are going to love it!

Alan and Jeni said...

What a great idea! My kids would love that. Thanks!

Angela said...

Very cute idea- I used to be crafty and then something happened to me! I might give this a try for family night if I can control the paint and the people! :)

Jessumca said...

I love it! That is such a good idea! They are doing a fabulous job with that swamp of terror by the way! ;)

Jill Hunt said...

Those are scary! I love them! You guys do the funnest things!

Michal said...

wow. my boys will go crazy with this one. i just have to gear myself up. i'm not much of a crafter either--or a messy mom. this would be a perfect and practically free decoration for our halloween party. thanks for the idea!

Roo Roo's Corner said...

I'm too scared to come visit! Eeek!

Anonymous said...

Cute idea that I won't be doing. (Just been reading about Shelob with all those eyes in Lord of the Rings and just couldn't bring myself to make my own!)