Nov 23, 2008

Open House: November

It has been an eventful month. Here is a glimpse at what's been keeping us busy and mostly happy:

Sam has thrown himself into comic book writing. I'm pretty impressed with his dedication and sense of artistic perspective. He really doesn't read comic books very often, so I was surprised that he became so interested in writing one of his own. Perhaps it is because I don't let him read them very often. Nevertheless, this is his own project that he gets to do with out anyone else telling him how to do it. (or correcting spelling, grammar, etc.)


We continue to study the pilgrims and have really enjoyed our current read aloud.


Sam's math. It's coming along.


We had a really fun time visiting some friends up in Sun Valley a few weeks ago. We were only there a couple of days and the kids came up with a very funny play that they performed for us.


Story of the World has been very exciting. We've been fascinated with the vikings and those early kings. We've read about some of the Norse Gods, Alfred the Great and the Battle of Hastings. This is the history of our ancestors. I couldn't help but think that if we were living at that time we would be serfs or slaves. I mean, chances are, you would be too. I think Jeremy is descended from some English kings, but probably not legitimately. One thing is for certain; We are SO glad that we don't live during that time.


One of our art projects was to draw a self portrait. DON'T LAUGH. Ok, go ahead and laugh. We did. Sam said he looks like Bunson Honeydew and Claire said I look like a witch. Well, there you go folks. What am I bid? Claire is also practicing her writing. She's got her name down.

Elise's writing and math.


Elise is reading The Boxcar Children Books by Gertrude Chandler Warner. Those books are right up her alley. She would LOVE to live in a box car or a barn or a tree house, etc. Anything outside and with adventure.

Latin is coming along. Our new Latin words are: libero (I free), narro (I tell), pugno (I fight), supero (I conquer), voco (I call), regina (queen), stella (star), silva (forest), terra (earth), unda (wave), vita (life), aqua (water), cena (dinner), corona (crown), mensa (table), patria (country).

Can you guess some of the english derivitives?

That's our favorite part. Here are some: liberty, narrate, narrator, pugnacious, superior, vocal, vocabulary, regal, stellar, constellation, Pennsylvania, territory, undulating, vital, vitamin, aquarium, coronation, patriot.

Piano lessons are great! Both Sam and Elise are playing lots. Sam has advanced to a new book and Elise is very excited about the Christmas songs she is learning. I currently enjoy teaching them. ;)

Because we are doing school at home, I feel so strongly about involving my kids in worthy outside activities that help them improve their talents, build self-confidence and give them experiences. It is thrilling to see them improve and reach goals that they've set for themselves. It's also good for them to know what feels like to work hard for something and to struggle a bit.

Elise has been working hard and earned her yellow belt this month. In addition to knowing one of the forms, she had to certify that she was doing well in her school work and being obedient at home. That form really came in handy a few times!




Claire is still loving gymnastics!



And the friends she's made there.


Anna really wishes she could do gymnastics. She enjoys watching Sam and Claire. Sam has surprised us with his desire to do gymnastics and (even more so) his ability. He has lots of fun with his coach and the friends he's made.



And this is my little Anna. The baby, as she frequently reminds us. She is trying so hard (as is evident here in this picture).
I said, "Smile, Anna!" And she said, "K, mom."
Two is hard. It's hard because part of you wants to be big like the others and part of you wants to be small, like you remember. It's hard because you want to be big and wear underwear, and you want to be small and not bothered by trips to the loo. It's hard because you want to be big and get anything you want from the cupboards, and you want to be small and not have to clean up the mess. Well, now that I think of it, that's probably most of us. Hang in there Anna. Keep smiling.
Scripture Study: Through Mark 6.
We have enjoyed reading the testimonies of these early apostles. We are amazed by the miracles Jesus performed. We wonder at the faith of those early saints. We marvel at the patience and love our Savior has for us.

I am particularly impressed with how often the Savior removes unclean spirits. I have wondered what exactly constitutes an "unclean" or "evil" spirit. When one reads of the symptoms of those possessed with those spirits, they seem similar to what we call psychiatric problems. I often hear of the Savior healing physical ailments but not so much the mental ones. I truly believe that he does. He can heal every part of our being; physical, mental, psychological, spiritual, emotional. Which also means we can be tested in every one of those ways. This really stuck out to me as we were reading. I think there are more accounts of him cleansing spirits than physical bodies. The bottom line is: We need to turn to our Savior first for healing. Then have faith in what the spirit directs us to do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the post! You always inspire me by all you do. When I grow up, I wanna be like you!

I love the picture of Anna! I had to LOL at that one. So glad we have cameras to catch those. Aren't you?

Sarah said...

You are super mom! Wow, send some energy my way!

Amy said...

Good job to Elise for advancing to a yellow belt! She is one tough cookie. Ian wrote a few comics too during his Calvin and Hobbes phase. I think it's great that you are doing Latin. I wish someone would have taught me Latin when I was young. I liked that shot of Claire pausing on the bar for you to take a picture (figured out why mom won't put the camera away?). And little Anna, how sweet that she obliges you with wrinkly little smiles. Oh, and where is Jeremy's self-portrait?

Montserrat said...

What fun memories you've written about and captured on film! Glad to know you are all doing well.

Michal said...

it is so good, as always, to see what you have been up to. i haven't posted a report in a couple of weeks and need to badly.
i loved the pictures of your kids.
again, i think that kimball and sam would get along swimmingly. kimball went through a comic book phase (completely inspired by calvin and hobbes) and it was fun to see how good he was at it. i really really wish that we lived closer.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of your sweet children! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

The comic book is great! And the play looks like fun! I forgot to ask why you were in Idaho.

Everything looks good. I'm loving all the Latin derivatives I'm learning as well. Our English language is so fascinating!