Jan 19, 2009

Mirror, Mirror

Written for Cocoa's Wordfull Wednesday. This week's topic: Wish upon a star.

*This poem talks about a wish of mine, in a very round about way.

I have a magic mirror.
Or perhaps, it's magic eyes.
I look and smile within and never
ever think it lies.

I'm not sure why I pause this time
perhaps it is the little lines
that circle 'round this face of mine
like so many whispering voices.

Startled now, by this revelation
I think about my situation
and contemplate my regeneration
while before me lay two choices.

To pout or not to pout...
That is the the question.
To suffer from a crippling bout
of insecure depression?

Or to once again, use magic eyes
and blur the lines a touch
to clip and cut and trim and size;
not really very much.

But ah! The result is just enough
I can look back satisfied.
"Mirror, mirror on the wall..."
"Quite happy to oblige."






7 comments:

Strawberry Girl said...

Great post, I have been thinking about the same kinds of things lately. So I go and drink lots of Roobios tea, cocoa, and slather on my fav. lotion (a plant based collegen formula). Doesn't always work, but I don't fret about it.

:0)

Anonymous said...

You're a unique person.

Incredibly optimistic you manage to teach truth and uplift through every medium whether it be: speech, singing, shouting, writing or even poetry.

For many just having the talent would be sufficient. You on the other hand use your talents to teach.

Unique indeed!!

kjha said...

I appreciate this Wordful Wednesday for putting me in touch with poets such as yourself. Very nice...

Montserrat said...

Lovely truthful poem. We all do that to some extent don't we? You have a beautiful way with words.

Ice Cream said...

Is photoshop your magic mirror? Or maybe I'm just projecting myself here, because I love it when photoshop obliges my inner self. =)

Emily said...

Dear Sonja,

I think you truly just made my day. I have had a hard day with lots of poop to clean. Your words were just so kind to me, and so timely. Do you sing in church, I really hope you do frequently, but best of all is your children getting to hear you... I just read "GIFTS" and, you had me hooked, you are truly a writer! What a sweet puppa, with that little closet room. Reminds me of an old man I met on my mission. I could just see him wrapping his old belongings too.
Thanks again for your kindness and helpful thoughts,
Emily

Michal said...

as always, i loved it. you express so beautifully the thoughts of your heart, which so often echo mine.