Mar 8, 2009

Open House: March

March has definitely come in like a lion, weather-wise. We've had some big windstorms and after a week of nicer weather, we woke up one morning this week to snow!!

We've also been rather lion-ish with our school and extra curricular stuff too. The days are flying by and filled with so much.

For the record, here is some evidence of our academic progress:

Samples of writing from Elise:


She is learning cursive and is pretty excited about it.


Some of Sam's writing:





We are studying plants and roots. We are looking forward to planing our garden this spring and are hoping that we have more success than last year. The stars were aligned against us, what with the gopher and the neighbor's wall.

So, these are not the best pictures. Taken waaay too late at night, but it's the only time I get a quiet moment to compose this, you know?

It is fascinating to me, that plain old potatoes can grow these roots so fast. These potatoes were put in water about 2 weeks ago.


Check out the awesome complexity. The kids have been so excited to see the change everyday. Can you see the root hairs? Amazing! The cells know what to do! Just a little water and sunlight and a miracle takes place. The kids are working on a poster that will chart the progress of these potatoes.



We've also been doing some map work.




And we are official members of the Nation Geographic Society. Sam especially likes to read these magazines.


Speaking of reading and what Sam likes, here are some of the books he's currently devouring:



And Elise's:


And I got thinking about how many books we have. Quite a few. A lot are still in boxes.





Sam and Elise are both doing well in Math.
Sam is on Lesson 80 in Saxon 5/6 and learning about prime and composite numbers.
Elise is on Lesson 67 in Saxon 3 and is learning to square numbers and identify perfect squares.

We are also doing Latin, Art, and Music. Sporadically, but we are doing it. Sam and Elise are both practicing the piano. Sam has been enjoying it more and more. He will be playing for a talent show at the end of the month. Elise will be singing and Claire will do a little gymnastics routine.

We got to go see "A Year with Frog and Toad" and the Scera Theater. We really enjoyed it. On the way home, Elise said: "Mom I want to be in a play!" So, we are looking at some summer programs.


We also went to the zoo on "Homeschool Day and the Zoo." It was packed, but every one was so nice. The kids had a great time meeting new friends.


In the midst of all the activities, schooling, and daily routines, the impossible happened. Jeremy and I actually went on a date. You know, the good kind where you wear nice clothes, put on make-up and do your hair.

We went to the Addy's Gala and Banquet (doesn't that sound fancy?), where his team received an award for some of their work. I was very proud. I had some excellent shrimp. It was lovely. It was a good reminder to remember my husband. I am so very busy with the kids. They are constantly on my mind and they take up a huge chunk of my heart. But my husband has claims on it too.

We are going to go out more often.



Can't believe it will be 12 years in June.









Our cute babysitter did some fun crafts with the kids while we were gone.


And now they are planning their leprechaun traps!


So...this month came in like a Lion. I'm hoping it goes out like a Lamb!

10 comments:

Jill Hunt said...

It is so fun to see all the things you are up to! I sure miss you guys! And I am amazed how well you are with getting things done! Your kids seem to be so smart! Also if you open the flap on that GOLD National Geographic cover Paul is in the Toyota ad. Kind of fun!

Lenora/Ellie said...

I love to see the things you do. You continue to inspire me. Where did you guys move to?
Jonathan age 7 just watched your husbands copper video with me and he was mesmerized(can't spell that)the whole time. It was very cute and a fun way to learn.

Brent Hope said...

Excellent report and excellent pictures!!

Jessumca said...

I want to come over and have you teach me! All that work you guys do at home looks so great it makes me want to learn it too! :)

Amber M. said...

No wonder your kids are so cute...you are quite the handsome couple!! I have been so bad at keeping up this past few weeks, but things should eve out soon and you'll be hearing more from me.

LOVES!

Michal said...

i love these posts. you are always so positive and inspiring. isn't it so incredible the kinds of things you can expose your kids to in a homeschool environment?

kimball loves national geographic, too. every time you mention sam i just know that they'd be fast friends. why must you live so far away?

i'm glad that you and jeremy got out on a date. i find myself so much happier in my life and my marriage when jared and i make date night a regular occurrence, even if every time can't be a shrimp-and-fancy-dress occasion. we just need that.

Cranberryfries said...

Sonja you are just a busy busy lady. And inspiring. I love catching your blog and seeing what fun things you are all doing.

Desiree said...

Aaah, it's so nice to see that someone else's bookshelves look just like mine, bursting at the seams with tons of great books and other things. You are inspiring!

(I found your blog on Chocolate on my cranium, I think, just in case you're wondering who I am) I have to say that I have received much help from your homeschooling resources, and ideas. I enjoy seeing the things you guys do too. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! You're doing so many wonderful things! I can relate to lots of books. I seriously can't believe it's half-way through March already! Where does the time go??

Yay for you getting out on a date. You two look great! :)

benandcorinne said...

We loved frog and toad also!