Apr 2, 2009

Fibroblasts are AWESOME!


We think Claire might be part Wolverine, she is healing SO fast.

It's been kind of fascinating to watch. I found some information online about the whole process at http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu and shared it with the kids and so now I'll share it with you.

Pay attention, there will be a test at the end.

The moment you cut or tear a blood vessel, the body's Superheros of Healing spring into action. Here's how healing works:

  • First comes vasoconstriction — blood vessels leading to the wound tighten to reduce the flow of blood to the injured area.
  • Platelets (triggered by enzymes leaked from the torn blood vessel) rush to the scene. These sticky blood cells clump to each other and then adhere to the sides of the torn blood vessel, making a plug.
  • Clotting proteins in the blood join forces to form a fibrin net that holds the platelet plug in place over the tear, and in just a few seconds or minutes (depending on how bad the scrape is), BLEEDING STOPS, thanks to coagulation! The fibrin plug becomes a scab that will eventually fall off or be reabsorbed into the body once healing is complete.

Once bleeding has been controlled, the next step is stopping infection:

  • The blood vessels that were constricted now dilate to bring white blood cells rushing to the scene. White blood cells engulf and destroy any germs that may have gotten into the body through the open wound.

When the enemies of blood loss and infection have been vanquished, the body turns its attention to healing and rebuilding:

  • Fibroblasts (cells that are capable of forming skin and other tissue) gather at the site of injury and begin to produce collagen, which will eventually fill in the wound under the scab and create new capillaries to bring oxygen-rich blood to the recovering wound.
  • Skin along the edges of the wound becomes thicker and then gradually migrates (or stretches) under the scab to the center of the wound, where it meets skin from the other side and forms a scar (about three weeks after the initial injury).
  • Scar tissue will become stronger and fade gradually over the next several years as more collagen is added, but will only have about 80 percent of the strength of the original skin.
Not all wounds heal equally. Generally speaking, more serious wounds take longer to heal. Individual factors also influence how quickly your body is able to recover from a wound, including:
  • Age — young'uns usually heal faster than older folks
  • Nutrition — the body needs a good supply of vitamin C to make collagen
  • Smoking — non-smokers, on average, heal more quickly than smokers
  • Stress — large amounts of stress can delay the healing process
  • Other infections or illnesses — diabetes, thyroid disease, high blood pressure, and poor circulation, for example, can decrease the body's ability to heal

We are hoping that Claire doesn't have any scars from this accident. It doesn't look like she will.

Saturday

Monday

Wednesday


Now, test your knowledge about the awesomeness that is your body

1. (true or false) Vasoconstriction is the widening of the blood vessels leading to the wound.

2. ___________ are triggered by enzymes leaked from the torn blood vessel.

3. (true or false) It takes a couple hours for the clotting proteins to form a fibrin net over the wound.

4. The blood vessels that were constricted now dilate to bring _____ ______ _____ rushing to the scene.

5. (true or false) Fibroblasts are cells that are capable of forming skin and other tissue.



answers
1. false
(Vasoconstriction is when blood vessels leading to the wound tighten to reduce the flow of blood to the injured area. )

2. Platelets

3. false
(In just a few seconds or minutes (depending on how bad the scrape is), BLEEDING STOPS, thanks to coagulation!)

4. white blood cells

5. true



How'd you do? Don't you think our bodies are AMAZING?

11 comments:

GL said...

I Love your post! I was such a cell biology/human anatomy fan at the University of Utah. I read every word and took the test at the end.

I really like the before and after pictures. Claire is a doll.

Parmleys said...

Popsicles. What about popsicles? Don't they make the body heal faster? They certainly help the mind heal faster. I'm sure that's research that's been overlooked.

Claire, Mummu and I are so glad you are healing so quickly. It's good to see your beautiful smile.

Love, mummu and pappa

Cranberryfries said...

Holy moley that girl is a wolverine! I had a very similiar product from a sledding fall when I was 4-ish and no scars. Although the pictures look cool. :)

Sonja said...

Aaack! How could we have over-looked the popsicles? You do bring up a very good point, Dr. Dad. :)

Claire was so happy when I read your comment to her.

Miti said...

So glad she's healing so fast. The human body is an amazing thing, for sure!

Amber M. said...

Sonja, you are the COOLEST mom ever! Only you could turn something kinda scary into a cool learning experiemnt for your kids. And an education for me.:-)

nicole said...

that truly is amazing. i can't believe how much better she looks just a few days later. when ruby got bit by a dog in her face, i remember thinking she would NEVER look the same again...and to my surprise, and now a year later, she has healed beautifully. she still has several faint scars, but i suspect in another year's time or so, even they will be gone. it's true, our bodies are incredible! thanks for sharing all those cool and fascinating facts. hope your sweet little clair continues to heal as she has...it's a miracle.

Tara said...

Sonja...I think you are the coolest mom ever. You make learning so much fun. You take advantage of every opportunity to teach your kids...I love it. Thanks for teaching me how to be a better mom!

So glad Claire is okay and that her wounds are healing so quickly!

Roo Roo's Corner said...

Aren't our bodies amazing?! Heavenly Father sure knew what he was doing:)

Michal said...

you are amazing. way to turn life situations into great learning situations. glad she's looking better.

Amy said...

I just want you to know.. that I took the test first, before I read the chapter. And well, I got... 100%.

I like the time-lapse healing pictures. It makes me think about everything else that is happening inside those little bodies that we can not see. We sure are blessed with strength and beauty. Claire, especially.