Apr 20, 2009

Timeless Dickens


How does Charles Dickens feel about corrupt banks and inept government institutions? Can virtue withstand poverty, humiliation, and desolation? How about sudden wealth?

The themes in this beautiful series, based on the classic novel seem particularly relevant today. Perhaps the most poignant questions it asks are,

"What is your greatest desire? Will it bring you true happiness?"

The characters are SO well done. The scenery is rich. The plot has twists a plenty. I LOVE how Dickens weaves his characters together and this series does not disappoint. Andrew Davis also wrote the script for Masterpiece Classics' "Bleak House," another excellent screen rendition of a Charles Dickens classic.

Watch this wonderful series online until May 3rd at www.pbs.org
and then go to the library to check out the book.

3 comments:

Sea Star said...

I have been enjoying this production too. It is a very timely story to be retelling and showing right now. Human nature doesn't change and Dickens is so good at sharing his insights. I am looking forward to the final episode next week. I think I am going to have to read the book eventually. I just can't seem to get through much of anything at the moment. So for now I will enjoy the film. It is so well cast and written.

Amy said...

Ooooh! Thanks! I have been on a Dickens kick again lately, and this fits right in.

I stayed up too late last night and watched the first episode. I took a little nap this afternoon so I am ready to watch more tonight. It is great. I'm definitely hooked!

Michelle Claire said...

Sonja, I am so glad that you posted this! I have never read the book, but I love stories like this one... I stayed up WAY too late last night as well and watched the first episode, and LOVED it. Now I have to go get the book to read... I love watching the shows based off of books, but you can get so much more from the book itself. Again, you are awesome for posting this....