My friends, a tragedy told in two parts.
Part One.
Early this spring I was walking around our block admiring the new buds on the trees, smiling at all the chirping birds and breathing in the fresh air that comes after rain. It was early in the morning and I was all by myself. (A rarity) When I came to the corner of our block, I was shocked at what lay before me.
Two robins lay in the middle of the street. They were dead. But they did not have a scratch on them. They had not been run over or eaten. It was very perplexing and a little disturbing.
I actually had to resist the urge to run and get my camera. Their beautiful, little, unscathed bodies laying side by side reminded me so much of a tragic avian Romeo and Juliet.
I could not enjoy the rest of my walk. The pitiful birds were a stark contrast to the whole world that seemed to be teeming with life, from the buzzing insects to the green foliage. I kept wondering what brought about their demise.
Then it hit me.
The two love birds were so caught up in a rush of spring-twitter-pated ecstasy they didn't see the windshield coming. Bam! Stunned to death by the sudden impact they must have flown off the windshield and landed in the middle of the street. It's strange (and probably morbid) but that image has stayed with me and will probably never leave me.
Part Two.
Later that day I told my husband about the robins. It did not impact him the same way it did me. I suppose that is because I had a guilty conscience and he did not.
You see, I tend to get carried away in big ideas. Sometimes I can get so focused on one thing that I loose track of why I'm really here. It's ridiculous and it mostly comes in the form of: me staying up until 1 or 2 am reading, editing photos, writing, blogging, cleaning (ok, I hardly ever stay up cleaning), and so forth. Without enough sleep, I may as well have been hit by a windshield. I'm not as patient with my family, I don't get nearly as much done, and I tend to grab more chocolate chips than I should.
When I have balance in my life, it's like a vibrant spring day. All those extra things are lovely little parts of life. But when I focus too much on myself and don't rein in those desires -- Bam! Things spin out of focus and the dark clouds of discouragement, discontent and discord roll in. The good news is, I can get up after a fall. Unlike those robins, I can learn and adjust my priorities to avoid getting hit again.
So my friends, beware the terrible tragedy that befalls those who, in a fit of selfish passion, cast reason and sleep aside to pursue personal pleasures. Moderation is our friend and will see us through many future springs.
This little birdie is going to sleep, getting up to jog tomorrow and will keep trying to avoid the windshield.
8 comments:
Those poor little birdies. I know what you mean about spinning out of control sometimes. Balance is so hard to achieve, and even harder to maintain. Hope you enjoyed your jog - I wish I could've joined you. I really miss spending early mornings with you!
That was a clever little insight. I'm chuckling and nodding my head in agreement all at the same time. :)
YOU my friend are an excellent teacher. Thanks for the insight that I can surely apply in my life.
Now put the chocolate chips down and start cleaning! :)
Do the male and female robin look the same? Maybe it was two male robins fighting over mating rights? Ah, the ugly side of Romeo and Juliet, or Hamlet and Ophelia, or Othello and Desdemona. Just two male robins worrying too much about the female robin that they didn't see the windshield coming. Probably more fatalistic than romantic, though.
Loved the story.
"You see, I tend to get carried away in big ideas. Sometimes I can get so focused on one thing that I loose track of why I'm really here. It's ridiculous and it mostly comes in the form of: me staying up until 1 or 2 am reading, editing photos, writing, blogging, cleaning (ok, I hardly ever stay up cleaning), and so forth. Without enough sleep, I may as well have been hit by a windshield. I'm not as patient with my family, I don't get nearly as much done, and I tend to grab more chocolate chips than I should."
this sounds like me, except for your impressive ability to gain this lesson from the robins. thanks for sharing it so that i, too, could benefit. i need to avoid the windshield, show my family more love, and step away from the chocolate chips!
I enjoyed your tragic tale of woe. You'll have to work this parable into a talk or lesson.
The fact that you are aware of approaching windshields sets you apart from the distracted, preoccupied, carefree creatures (who because of some aspect of birds-and-bees activity were ultimately brought to their unfortunate demise).
I get caught up in projects sometimes, and a lack of sleep turns me into a bird brain too. WOE! WOE!
Dad,
They were in fact male and female. (They do look different) I thought about that at first, that it might be two males. But still, I guess it can't really be called romantic. :)
Post a Comment