Jun 14, 2009

When it rains, it pours.


Worth. It's a small word. It even looks kinda funny by itself, but it has been on my mind a lot lately, in many different contexts.

Right now, those little blades of grass growing in our backyard mean a lot to us. We worked hard for them and we hope they fill up our yard with lush, pleasing green. A whole week of thunderstorms is trying to stop that from happening, and we find ourselves asking, "Was it worth it?" I guess it's too early to tell.

There have been times the past few years that we have wondered whether it was worth it for Jeremy to go back to school. We struggled for three years. Now when I say struggle, I'm talkin' sold our house and moved to another state with two and a half kids, and having yet another wee babe before the graduation robes were put on, struggle. Student life with four kids is no party people! But it is going to be worth it! This is the thought that got us through. A year after graduation the economy tanks and Jeremy is working at a place marginally better than where he was working before we went to school. We have a job and we are very thankful for it. But lately we've wondered (as we write out our checks to the student loan guys and muddle through the financial shlumpity-slump), "Was it worth it?"

How do we judge how much something is worth? I listened to some guys on the radio talk about how much Ronaldinho is worth. A lot, apparently.

I recently sold some books and had a hard time determining how much they were worth.

Money is one way to determine some thing's worth. Beauty and time invested are others.

Sometimes we learn about worth in painful ways:

Friday morning I went to the temple with a friend. I asked my brother to watch the kids for me. I went early and hoped that my little girls (especially Anna) would stay sleeping the whole time. I had a beautiful experience at the temple and got a much needed spiritual boost. I came home a little later than I planned to a house full of wide-awake children and a brother with a nervous twitch. He gave me this look that said, "Why??"

He proceeded to tell me that Anna woke up about an hour after I left and went berserk because I didn't tell her I wasn't going to be there. She ran out the door and half way down the block screaming. When my brother tried to get her she screamed in a hysterical, I-just-woke-up-and-I'm-so-mad!, voice, "Get away from me! I don't like you!" My sensitive, kind and gentle brother didn't know what else to do but sit there with her in the middle of our block and pray that the neighbors didn't call the cops. Eventually Anna calmed down and came in the house with him. My brother was traumatized.

So, was the trip to the temple worth it? Two days after the whole affair Anna and my brother have recovered and I can tell you it was.

As a mother I have certain gauges that I semi-consciously use to determine my self-worth. I don't have quarterly reviews from a boss. I don't get raises or bonuses for doing good work. I don't get a report card telling me what I've passed or failed.

I know that Heavenly Father thinks I'm of infinite worth, but because I am a poor, feeble human I tend to be less secure when I consider my own worth.

Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world? (Mormon 8:38)

I suppose I can go back to seeds and grass here. What truth there is in the law of the harvest! My life-lawn right now is filled with lots of small, unglamerous things: Laundry, dinners, scrapes and bumps, little voices, little very needy and grabby fingers, peas on the floor, clogged toilets, book reports, math facts, marker on the wall, manners lessons and other daily family "seeds." Sometimes the sun is shining, sometimes it rains. Sometimes the storm is so violent we wonder if our seeds will make it and if it is even worth it.

Yet we are promised help,
My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distill as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass.
(Deut. 32: 2)

And hope,
And he shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds; as the tender grass springing out of the earth by clear shining after rain.
(2 Sam. 23: 4)

I imagine myself an old grandma someday surrounded by my children and grandchildren whom I have watched grow. Who have cried tears of sorrow and joy with me. Who love me and love each other. That will be my priceless, viridian paradise.

All the rain and storms, the lack of new clothes and shiny things, the tears and heartache, the missed cruises, the worry; small price to pay.

It will be worth it.

14 comments:

corinne said...

sonja. this was simply beautiful. you are so incredibly talented, i am speechless.

Becky J. said...

This was so poignant and something I've thought a lot about as well. Why is it so easy for me to completely misjudge my own self worth when I know how my Father judges it? Like you said, we're imperfect humans, but that still frustrates me that I am often so far off the mark. Anyway, thanks for the food for thought. Beautiful writing!

Montserrat said...

Lovely how you are able to express this so well.

My husband and I had a discussion about this Saturday evening, complete with lots of tears on my part mostly due to pregnancy hormones...I think.

It seems that everything comes at you at once while you have young children at home, are still schooling or just getting started in a career, church callings that require a lot of time, etc. Finding the right balance between them all and still feeling like your worth something in the midst of it is a HUGE challenge. It's too easy to let our perspective become blocked and allow ourselves to become overwhelmed.

gl said...

Obviously you cannot judge this, but others who know you can.

Alma 5:14 And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?

I see the image of our Savior in your countenance and I always have. What could be of more "worth" than that? You are of uncommon valor.

Keep up the good work Sonja!

Amber M. said...

Sonja, you made me cry this morning. You expressed so beautifully the emotions and struggles we ALL feel at times. You are a beautiful, talented woman. And you're a child of God. Thank you for reminding me that I am one, too.

Michal said...

thank you for writing this and sharing your thoughts on something of such great worth. we all need to hear this more often.

Loretta and Richie said...

Loved this one.

Alan and Jeni said...

Sonja, I just LOVED this post. What truth you've shared and how you expressed it was absolutely beautiful. You are a truly talented writer and I simply admire you. Thanks.

Emily Widdison said...

I really enjoyed this post. And not just because it had a funny babysitting story. I think it would have been more interesting if the police would have been called but I'm glad they weren't!
Thanks for this post. It was beautiful!
Thanks for introducing me to the faces website...I've been to chicken to enter the contests, but someday soon I will. I love your photographs!

Erica said...

Thank you! I just needed to hear this.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sonja. I loved this post. You are such an incredible mother and friend.

Amy said...

I think the things that are of the most worth are those that are the longest-lasting. Like that education and your family--both eternal and of infinite worth. That is why the laundry and peas can wait. It is difficult for me to remember this though when there are just SO many peas EVERYWHERE.

Who was more traumatized? What did your other kids do? I'm looking forward to hearing more of this story.

Angela said...

This post puts it all into perspective! Life is tough there is no doubt about it! You are doing all the right things and are such inspiration to us bloggers- Head up high!

Cellista said...

You ARE of infinite worth! This was beautifully written.

(and I laughed so hard at the thought of your brother chasing Anna up the street hoping the neighbors wouldn't call the cops!)