Anna (my three year old) has taught me a lot about prayer. I have become dependent prayer and have come to realize my nothingness without it. Often my prayers are pleas for patience, understanding, patience, fortitude, patience, kindness and more patience.
Today, while the older kids were at school, Anna and I took a little nap together. She was happy to lay her little head down, because she was so tired. After a little while her three-year-old body was peaceful and still. I got up to go.
Then she startled me by sitting up and saying, "Mom, when I get to see Jesus, I'm gonna look at him and tell him I love him."
Then she flopped back down and went to sleep.
I was taken back by the thought of her just thinking there, all that time (maybe 5min.) about Jesus. I guess I forget, or underestimate what a three-year-old can really understand about him.
It's hard to think of this little girl as angel sometimes. Those of you with especially active kids know what I'm talking about.
But this afternoon I felt like that moment was a gift. A little insight into her tender heart. I glimpse I don't often get. A reminder of who she really is. His, not mine.
Tonight my prayers are full of gratitude and love for this angelic little girl who teaches me so much and fills me up with so much wonder.

6 comments:
Very sweet story. It really is amazing what these small children think about. They are a lot closer to heaven than we are!
What a sweet and tender moment!!:) I love that picture too!
Oh, Sonja...you went and made me cry.
Thank you for sharing your sweet story. It helps me remember the tender thoughts of my own.
Very sweet. Love that good little Anna.
It's been too long since I've looked at your blog, Sonja. How much I truly enjoy your amazing spirit from your open heart you willingly share with others. I admire you so much and love how you are able to express your thoughts so well.
Post a Comment