Oct 11, 2009

Outdoor hour: Autumn Canyons

octwalk20
Last Friday Jeremy came home early from work and we went up into the canyons. They are, of course, glorious this time of year. The kids were thrilled with the snow, despite being mitten-less. We have been SO incredibly busy lately that moments of togetherness are rare (I'm sad to say). One thing I really miss about homeschooling is the ability to just pick up and go to the mountains to explore whenever the weather is particularly cooperative.

octwalk3
(yep, it's gonna be a while before those bangs grow back)

octwalk4
Throwing rocks is our favorite!

We found lots of interesting nature tid-bits. Check out the crystal structure. Sam was fascinated by this.
octwalk13
Elise is our rock hound. She was curious about what minerals might be in this colorful rock.
octwalk15
And this one.
octwalk8

Claire helped me find tracks. Snow makes them easy to spot. We found these deer(?) tracks and also what we think might be cougar tracks.
octwalk5

The trees seemed to be talking to us.
octwalk9
octwalk10

Their colors are just gorgeous.
octwalk19
octwalk18

Anna had fun with my scarf. I watched her try to wrap that thing around her neck for about 10 minutes.
octwalk17

This was, perhaps my favorite part of the day.
octwalk22
octwalk23
Just watching the people I love, loving each other.

5 comments:

Loving Rice (Shelby Reynolds) said...

This is a beautiful post. I continue to love your blog, your photos and the moments you capture. Are you no longer home schooling? I'd love to know what led to that decision if you don't mind sharing. (and the bangs are adorable, no matter the length!). Best, best wishes.

Unknown said...

You have officially made me homesick for the first time since I left. The mountains look so beautiful!

Montserrat said...

Love all the fall scenery! And that first picture of your kids and the short bangs...that's priceless!

Cranberryfries said...

Beautiful!

Michal said...

beautiful post, sonja. i love love love the second picture.