Oct 17, 2009

Sometimes the sun does shine, my friends.

corn15

We have not had a whole Saturday together in ages. I'm not exaggerating. It's been since, like, August. Which is a whole other season ago.

I've been working every Saturday since we got back from Washington in August. I can describe my feelings about this in one word:

poo.

It wasn't too bad when the kids were home all day anyway, but now that they are gone so much, it is really horrible to be gone from them on the one day that we all get to do stuff together. Fun stuff.

But you do what you gotta do, right? I've done my share of supplimental income jobs, and I can tell you this most resent one at Macey's (the grocery store) has been my favorite. That doesn't mean I didn't feel elated when I turned in my two-week notice, however.

Ahhhh.....That's the sound of me in the evening, not working. Especially after a long crazy day of running around.

Today was an especially sunny day. Our early morning rehearsal was canceled. So we made plans. Big plans! Fancy plans! These plans were so gianormous that all my kids went straight to bed after the pancake and scrambled egg dinner I made for them at 7:30pm.

Here's a little of what we did:

First, we went to this crazy awesome place. Our Macey's was celebrating it's 10 year anniversary with 10 cent hot dogs, cotton candy, ice cream, free cake, balloons and bouncy jumpy things.
corn18

It was nuts. But we were only beginning.
Next we went to Cornbelly's.
We've gone for the last few years. It's sooo much fun.
Those are corn kernels.
corn13

Here we are, getting ready to go into the "3D fun house." Um...nice glasses.
corn8

Here we are, inside the "3D fun house."
corn7
It was psychedelic.

We had fun jumping.
corn23

We got ideas for our pumpkins:
corn24

We had fun on the hay ride (it was a little scarier this time):
corn25
corn26

Anna really enjoyed the princess playland:
corn6

corn4

We had duck races:
corn14

And we went in the "kiddie" corn maze. Those of you who know Elise will not be surprised that she collected discarded, dried ears of corn and their husks for a "project."
corn9
And this was at the end of the day. Can you tell? Nobody wanted to smile for pictures anymore. I wonder why?

It really was a wonderful day. Too many pictures, you say? Well, I will have you know that I could have posted 165 more pictures, if I really wanted to. See how considerate I am?

After we put the kids to bed, Jeremy and I watched the newest episodes of 30Rock and FlashForward on Hulu. Yes, the sun does shine, my friends. It's always up there in the sky. Sometimes clouds or excessive in-the-house-ness, hide it from our view. Especially this time of year.

So when the sun does come out, when time does permit, go outside and get all pink and rosy cheeked.

You'll be glad you did.

9 comments:

Christine said...

I'm so glad for you! So what are you going to do now that you don't have to work? What a crazy feeling? I know you have a secret plan. If you don't want to post about it, just email me!

Becca said...

Ooh, where is this corn place? It looks fun! Ah, I know you will miss us all at Maceys, but I know how nice that would be to not have to work on Saturdays too. I know it's good I only work on Friday nights and Saturdays during the day, but really it does take so much away from the only time you could be with your family. One day.....I tell Troy oh please one day maybe I won't have to work and we can all be together on a Saturday, but it hasn't happened yet. We would have to delete a whole bunch of things from our budget and that would be the kids' piano lessons, dance lessons, and preschool. They love it too much. I couldn't do it to them. Oh, life choices are hard. You're so awesome and cute Sonja! I'm glad you are having a great time! And yes, it was crazy on Saturday!

Green Light said...

C'mon Sonja!

Be the first person in internet-blogging history to have 165 pictures attached to a single post!

Glad you had an awesome day!

Jessumca said...

hey! we love 30rock! i really wish i could go to cornbelly's! it looks amazing! but maybe its just your amazing photography skills.... :)

Jenny said...

This place looks awesome! Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

What fun!!
I love the massive pool of corn!

Jennifer Purdie said...

You are such a talented photographer. Makes me so excited that is autumn.

Cellista said...

Great pictures! What a fun day! I am so happy for you that you won't have to work anymore! I know what you mean about Saturdays. DH works every other weekend and even though it's only 12-6, it feels like he's gone the entire day and it's one more day we're not together as an entire family. It gets old. Really old after a while.

Ice Cream said...

A 3D fun room? This place looks totally awesome!