FEAR!That's right. Freakiness.
A few Fridays ago, while I was at work Jeremy and the kids watched Coraline. We didn't really know too much about it. We knew it was based on a children's book. We knew the stop motion animation was cool.
What we did not know, has come back to bite us. Again and again.
In all honesty, we did know it might be a tad freaky, but it was rated PG, and our kids have been able to handle the likes, of Star Wars (4-6 and 1,2) and Harry Potter.
This one is scary because the theme is more relate-able? The thought of parents missing or turning into scary, children eating spiders comes a little too close to home? I'm not sure, but I wish Jeremy had turned it off before Anna got the scary image imprinted in her very impressionable little mind.
All of our hard work, nights and nights of singing, back rubbing, praying and reading to try and get her to stay in her own bed at night, undone in 90min.
Sigh....
Choose wisely my friends.
On a different note, but in the same vein:
I submitted this post: Fear ala Edgar Allan Poe (written last year, one of my favorites)
to Scribbit's Write-Away contest this month.
5 comments:
We did the same thing with this movie this summer when I was with my family because my Mom had heard it was great animation. It was awful! I can't believe they passed it off as PG when it had nearly pornographic stuff in it! Sorry you had to see it too. Hopefully poor little Anna will forget it somehow.
We also just watched "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" last night and thought it was horrible. They tried to redeem it in the end, but it was very dirty, so don't rent that if you were wanting to. Stupid Hollywood.
I've regretted letting my little ones watch this movie too. I had a icky feeling the whole time and should have just turned it off, but didn't because I thought it would get better or be okay in the end. Choose wisely indeed.
I once heard someone say that movies destroy children, and thought that was a little harsh and extreme, but maybe not...
Oh! That is the worst! Give Anna a kiss for us. That happened to us with the Wizard of OZ when Biene was about her age. She couldn't get that wicked witch out of her mind. Then she dressed up as a witch for Halloween. It helped; somehow she realized it was just pretend then.
thankfully i checked out the book before we saw the movie and decided that if the book wasn't fit for my kids to read, than neither was the movie. but i just hate it when i think something like that will be harmless and then i'm dead wrong. sorry you're having to deal with that. poor anna.
My kids thought it was absolutely terrifying. We turned it off too.
Wayyy too creepy for a kids movie. I was even creeped out.
Post a Comment