Oct 2, 2009

Um...I'd like to thank my

This isn't the post I intended to write tonight. I've been writing (in my head) about some pretty heavy, meaningful, deep subjects.

But tonight, we shall just have fluff and stuff. (again)

Here are the reasons why:

Today Sam made me and the nurse laugh. We went to go get flu "sniffs". Claire and Anna already had their flu vaccines misted painlessly into their noses last week. Because there was no school today, it was everyone else's turn. Unfortunately, they were all out of the "mist" kind, so guess what? We got the old fashioned kind.

I didn't tell the kids until after I had mine done. They were like, "Oooh, mom. Sorry that you had to have the shot."

"Well, you see..." I began.

Then Sam caught on and started to freak out a bit.

"No, no, NO...I would rather sniff dad's stinky watch!"

Wha? Yeah, the nurse and I were laughing so hard at the randomness. Maybe you had to be there. Nevertheless, we all are now ready for flu season. We hope. And I'm still laughing.


Also,

and this is just plain bragging, sorry. I was beyond astonished to find out the my photo over here won the best photo at I Heart Faces this week. GET OUT! I've been doing the happy dance for hours.

Lastly,

but most definitely NOT leastly,
Samuel, Elise and I auditioned last month for a musical production called, Savior of the World: His Birth and Resurrection. We found out a few weeks ago that all three of us get to participate in this amazing Christmas production.

The performances start November 20 and run until Jan 2 at the LDS Conference Center in Salt Lake City, UT.

About 3 years ago, I was driving with my kids at night to the airport to pick up my mom. I had just purchased the CD to this musical and we were listening to it in the van. After some beautiful solo (can't remember exactly which one), Sam told me with tears in his eyes, "Mom, I just feel so happy. I feel so good when I hear about Jesus." Elise chimed in with her happy thoughts too. (Claire and Anna were asleep) I'm pretty sure this is the first time we really talked about what it means to feel the spirit and how He testifies of truth. I know they felt the spirit that night, and they know it too.

Ever since then, I knew I had to let my kids experience this show.

It opens with angels singing and anticipating Jesus' birth. The first act is all about Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth and Zacharias. It is the most beautiful retelling of the nativity story. It ends with joy and rejoicing at the Lord's birth.

(Elise is playing Anna, Mary's sister. I am one of Mary's aunts and Sam is a temple boy in a scene with Zacharias.)

The second act is all about the Savior's resurrection. It's a very real and poignant depiction of the days following Christ's death up until his Ascension. It moves through the disciples' anguish and confusion to their joy and understanding ending with all of the disciples stirring testimony of Christ and anticipation of His second coming.

We've been to three rehearsals so far. I've cried at each one. My plan is to callous over the next few weeks, but right now, it has felt so good to cry just because I feel the spirit. You know what I mean? Kind of let it wash all over you. In my patriarchal blessing I'm told that I will sometimes see more clearly through my tears. It's been a while.

It has been a blessing for me and my two oldest. Even a tender mercy. Just as I was so worried about not being able so spend as much time with them (because of school and work), we have been given these evenings to mingle together with beautiful music, script and spirit. I look forward so much to the rehearsals!

If you are around, please come join us for this special event. You can find more information here:
http://www.lds.org/events/info/0,8197,726-1-735,00.html

And Happy Conference Weekend! I found lots of great conference ideas over at MormonMamma. We're going to eat pancakes, orange julius and scrambled eggs all weekend.

What are your family's Gerenal Conference traditions?

6 comments:

Montserrat said...

Congrats on the I♥Faces win this week! That is so exciting.

What a wonderful opportunity you have with your two oldest! It will definitely be a treasured memory for you all to be in the Christmas production. Maybe we'll get to see you in it! We are heading to Utah the week after Christmas.

gl said...

just beautiful! We'll be there.

Layla said...

I'm so excited for you guys to be in the play! Sonja, you have such a lovely family.

Christine said...

I'm still chuckling about the stinky watch comment. That Sam is a funny one.

Amber M. said...

I'm not surprised about your win...your phtographs are always so wonderful.

And that Sam?? Hilarious.

I hope your rehearsals continue to go. And don't worry about the tears...I had a YW leader tell me once that tears are a way of watering your testimony to help it grow.

Amy said...

I can totally relate to the stinky watch! Todd had one of those too. He had to keep getting new watchbands every couple of months. Those cloth ones, right? How did Sammy come up with that so quickly? SO FUNNY.

I am so proud of you for being the big winner! You rock!!! You truly rock! Yes, you!

I really, really, really, really, really want to come see you and the kids in that show! I'd have to bring a whole box of tissues. I think it is wonderful that you get to participate in this. Perfect.