heavenly rolls. (see recipe below)
We had a nice, cozy Thanksgiving this year. It has been so busy lately, we felt that this would be best. We did have a few special guests with us:
Uncle Mark, the reader of books and the kids' personal jungle gym.



And Jeremy's nephew, Ryan, player of the piano and master of the light-saber and force.



I meant to take more pictures, but I was so busy in the kitchen in the morning and too affected by the turkey, etc. in the afternoon.
Lately Jeremy and I have been researching our family history on FamilySearch.org
We have been so fascinated to learn about where all our ancestors came from. We both have family from Scotland, Germany, France, Denmark, England and we each can trace one of our lines all the way back to Mark Anthony. (Julius Caesar's son-in-law) Crazy!
Jeremy actually has an ancestor that come across on THE Mayflower. Richard Warren. Of the 41 signers of the Mayflower compact, only 19 survived that fist winter. Richard was one of them. He had seven children, who all went on to have large families.
After reading about all the difficulties those early pilgrims faced, I am so thankful to be living when and where I am.
I also felt this way, when reading about some of the other difficulties our ancestors faced: Tyrannical rulers, plauges, religious persecution, famines, many children dying too early, women dying in child birth....
We live in such a glorious time and in such a blessed place. Sometimes I wonder how it is that I am so fortunate. I am grateful for my ancestors and everything they sacrificed. Perhaps they didn't realize it was a sacrifice at the time. I'm sure many were just everyday mothers and fathers trying to raise a family and make a living.
Yet, when I consider what some endured it strengthens my resolve-
to work harder, to love more, to live more fully,
and with more gratitude.
Heavenly Rolls
(I double the recipe for Thanksgiving and Christmas. When doubling, I only use 3 eggs)
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1-1/2 cups warm water, divided
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs (brought to room temp)
2 teaspoons salt
8-1/2 to 9 cups all purpose flour (Lehi Roller Mills Turkey Red is best)
Melted butter
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 tablespoons of sugar in 1/2 cup of water. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the milk, butter ad remaining water to 110 degrees (or for about 1 min 30 sec or warm to touch and butter is very soft); add to yeast mixture. Add eggs, salt, 5 cups flour and the remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Shape into rolls or knots or whatever shape you want. Place rolls 1-2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 min. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min. or until golden brown. Let cool slightly and brush tops with melted butter.
Yield: about 3 dozen.

4 comments:
oh, the rolls. i love the rolls. looks like a wonderful, cozy feast.
i can't remember the name of my mayflower ancestor. time to research again and find out if jeremy and i share an ancestor. i'm sure your kids thought it was cool to be related to julius caesar. who are we kidding? it IS cool!:)
have a cozy weekend. i hope you get to be home with your lovely little family.
Your rolls do look heavenly! I think I had an ancestor on the Mayflower too.
Beautiful post! I think I need to try that roll recipe! Sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving for you.
I'm related to Richard Warren too! And Myles Standish and a few others. A thinks it is so cool as we've been studying the Mayflower this fall. He just needs to learn to type and he'll be our next little genealogist. I'm excited I get to start teaching the family history class in January at church.
Have you seen Desperate Crossing? It's a History Channel documentary about the Pilgrims that is really good. We watched it last night.
Yummy! Thanks for the recipe.
Post a Comment