As in "catch up." As in I'm so very far behind.
I'm going to write very fast, because it is late and I need to go to the gym tomorrow. And while we're on the subject, I'm really tired of being the lone chub. And I'm not just saying this because it's a new year and I ate way to much over the holidays (past and present).
Ok, maybe I am.
Look, I'm not looking to be a size 4 or 6. I'm comfortable will a little softness. I need it, because, well lets just say my husband has none, and it helps with the hugging and such. But the softness has turned into pillowieness, uncomfortableness, higher blood pressure - greater at risk for other diseases-ness. I am repenting. I feel like the lone chub.
And that's all I'm going to say about that.
School. I've been meaning to write so much about our experience with "traditional" school this year. I could go on at great length of all the pros and cons. Great. length.
However, when I really stop to think about it, I can sum it all up pretty concisely:
***no, apparently I can't because I keep going back to add or change things in this list.**
+Sometimes I like them being in school.
- Sometimes I shake my head in worry.
+I really like all their teachers.
+Their job is just huge and I respect them immensely.
- I do NOT like the bureaucracy associated with certain programs.
+I smile when I see my kids playing with lots of other children from lots of different backgrounds.
- I cry a little when I hear of one of those children being mean to one of mine.
- I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Saxon math.
+ I can't help but feel proud when they get good grades (even though the whole thing goes against my core beliefs)
+I do feel like I can connect with the other moms in my ward and neighborhood more. Which I like.
- I miss connecting with other homeschool moms.
- I miss planning lessons and field trips. I thought I would do more of this still, but I don't.
- I miss having my kids around me all day.
+ I have enjoyed being involved in all my children's classes.
- I have also not enjoyed it sometimes.
- I have made up my mind to homeschool again next year.
+ And then I have changed it.
Some things I have learned that I would like to pass on:
*If we do homeschool again, I will NOT be so paranoid about my children's academics. I should have had more confidence in their own ability to learn. Plus, it's incredible how little time actually goes into academics during a "traditional" school day. Maybe 2 or 3 hours of actual intellectual connection being made. And there are whole days where it's nothing but a party. Still, so much of the traditional education comes in the form of being able to meet deadlines, being respectful to teachers, getting along with others, etc. I understand this and appreciate its importance. But really, all of that can be done at home with a diligent homeschool curriculum, extra curricular activities and a good homeschool network.
*To be a successful mother and teacher, you must remember to take care of yourself. It's so easy to neglect yourself and be so focused on your children, but you can only do that for so long before you start to run ragged and then burn out. Balance, balance, moderation and balance.
*If you have been homeschooling and then decide to go back to traditional school, get to know the teachers really well, and give them your respect and gratitude. After all, you know how hard their job is. Be patient, as it may take them a while to realize that you are on their side. Be enthusiastic and show them that you find as much joy in your children's education and they do (or should).
*Your children will thrive when you give them lots of attention and love no matter where they are. The question is, what situation will best allow for this, for each particular child and for your particular circumstance? Don't be a follower in this. You have to really study and ponder the decision. Talk it over with your spouse and make sure you are on the same page. If your children are old enough, include them in the discussion. If they are not, don't. It will only confuse them.
*I think it is wise to commit to an educational plan for at least a year. You may go back and forth, have good days and bad days, where you are tempted to pull up the stakes, but knowing you've made a commitment will help you get through and make it to the next good day.
*Volunteer! Be in the classroom and get to know the kids in your kids' classes. Plus, teachers just love help. They will even let you bring in your 3 year old, as long as she is not disruptive, which sometimes is the case.
All your schmoozing will come in handy when you tell your kids' teachers that your children will be missing a week of school to go to Hawaii.
Which is where Sam and Elise are right now.
My mom and dad surprised them with an extra special Christmas present this year.
I hope I can make it. I miss them so much and it hasn't even been a day. But I'm really excited for them. I called them when they landed (yes, you read that right. I tracked their flight and called them when they landed. Issues, remember?) and Sam said,
"Mom it was the most amazing thing! It was incredible! When we broke through the clouds, the sun was setting and the sky was red. The mountains were this beautiful green and the water was so blue."
Sigh....
I'm going to the gym tomorrow.
9 comments:
Hey Nic just called me and said he just saw them at Walmart, he called me to see if I knew you guys were on Kauai. How fun! That would have been fun to have seen you too. How cool they came to our island. I hope the weather will be wonderful for the, it has been but you never know in the winter time, it could rain everyday. Oh maybe they will come to church that would be fun to see elise all grown up, I remember her when she was 3 in nursery! HAng in there! I know they are in good hands with grandma and grandpa!
By the way, I think you are amazing. (You are one of my idols.) And your kids are amazing. Just wanted to let you know.
I love all the advice about schooling. Who knows what will happen in the future with school for us. Maybe someday I will homeschool. You're great Sonja. I wish we could go to the gym together. I'm a little pillowy myself and am eager to lose all the extra pounds. Happy New Year!
I love that I have a friend that has so much advice about homeschool vs public schools. In a few years I will probably be picking your brain for all of it! I'm so excited for Sam and Elise. What an amazing experience for them! I can't wait to hear about their adventure in Hawaii.
I wish I could still go out running with you in the mornings. I am lacking on the motivation side of things lately.
Thanks for the catch up...Hope you had a wonderful birthday!
Help! I so have been struggling with all the same thoughts about homeschooling vs. public. Thanks for your insights! I really need to pick your brain for ideas to breath new life into our school. Email me when you have time.
Sam and Elise look like they are having so much fun! Oh, I am sooo green!
And...Happy B-day. I loved Anna's face in the background!
i've been wondering about how it's going with s & e back in public school. of course there are pros and cons to both-- the trick is to figure out which is right for your kids at that time and to stick to it. i sometimes worry that what i'm giving my kids isn't enough or that it is selfishly motivated and then i remember the sweet confirmation that this is what they need right now. is it wrong to hope that it remains what they need for a long time? i applaud you for doing this because i know that it was an excruciating decision on your part.
I left a long comment and then blogger ate it. Oh well.
The gist of it was - the most important thing for our children's education is to be involved. You are certainly doing that!
Wow, I need to get back in the routine of reading blogs (after I find time to get dressed everyday, ha). I had no idea you'd made the public switch.I've been flirting with the idea of homeschooling again next year, but I too flip flop on the decision all the time. We'll see what happens. Thanks for writing this, I'm glad I'm not alone.
Post a Comment