Feb 11, 2010

Last minute Valentine's Ideas


Does the thought of buying Spiderman/ Dora the Explorer valentines, knowing full well that they will only be thrown away 1/2 a second after the candy is ripped off of them, makes you a little nauseous?

Yeah, me too.

We have always made our own Valentines. Especially since, for the past three years we've been passing them out to a class of four. It felt a little more personal. Making something for someone because you care about them.

This year I have three kids in school. Each have at least 23 kids in their class.
3 x 23 = 69 Valentines.

Plus - I'm in charge of the Valentine's Party in Elise's class.

Plus - I just got a new calling as the 1st counselor in Young Women.

Plus - I have four wonderful ladies I visit teach.

That equals LOTS of Valentines to make.

SOLUTION!
Glean off of other people's genius.

I found some terrific links that offer FREE templates and ideas for Valentines gifts.
I will share them with you.

(but you probably don't need them. You probably have your own fabulous ideas. In which case, you should share them with the less creative, like me.)

Skip to My Lou has a fun Ladybug/Lollipop Valentine. She's also compiled a link list of a bunch of other really cute ideas.

Amy, at Living Locurto has made some sweet baggie topper templates. She's also got a link list of some really fabulous ideas.

MADE has the idea we are "borrowing" for all my kids. Super easy, creative, funny, LOVE IT.

Seriously, those three places will keep you pretty busy. Especially those link lists.

For Elise's (3rd grade) party we will split into four groups and:
1. Make tissue paper flower bouquets and learn about the Victorian messages in those bouquets.
2. We will also make some origami hearts and birds.
3. Then we will play Don't Eat Val!
4. Finally, we will learn all about our real, human hearts.

The History Channel has a whole site dedicated to the history of Valentine's Day. My kids especially loved "How Chocolate is Made," and "The History of the Valentine."

Yay for me! I don't need to be brilliant. I just need to know where to look.

No comments: