It was SO windy at Stonehenge that I feel the need to capitalize "so."
The thing I will remember most about that ancient place is how my friend Sunny came out in the side-ways rain and cold with her baby, just so she could take a picture of me and Jeremy. Thank you, Sunny!
There were also lots of Starlings flying around. Not too many other people, which was nice. The heavy clouds gave our pictures some nice texture, but it was cold. Very cold, so we did not stick around too long.
Our next stop was Bath. The ancient Roman hot spring was fascinating. The cold and rain seemed to emphasize the need for the Romans to have this "spa" of sorts. The stone that the buildings in Bath were made from is a very lovely color. Golden and pale.

There were some actors walking around playing the roll of Romans. This "priest" was telling everyone "Salve." I kept thinking about Sam and how we probably would have told me it should have been "Salvate" since he was addressing more than one person.
We stopped by the "Jane Austen" house and learned a little about her family and how people lived during those Georgian days. All in all, I'd say the tour was midling. It's a pity we won't ever know much about her personal life.


We got absolutely soaked as we came out of the Austen house (see picture of Sunny and me below). We ducked into a cafe and warmed up on some hot cocoa and cake. And no, we did not plan on wearing very the same color that day. It just happened.
On the way home the sun broke through the clouds and blessed us with a glorious view of the idyllic English country side.
Just a really fabulous day. The rain seemed fitting and proper and made the trip even more memorable. I kept thinking about all those Georgian women and their long skirts and how they must have been so muddy all the time.
6 comments:
I guess I knew that Bath was originally a Roman thing, but I can't think of it without picturing Jane Austen characters... especially Anne Elliot.
So many gorgeous photos, Sonja!
I enjoyed my time in Bath - imagining the Jane Austen characters - and enjoyed the museum with all the dresses in the basement, etc... but the real Jane Austen history seemed to be found in her little house in Chawton and walking the Cob at Lime Regis... and grannies teeth steps - though I didn't see Captain Wentworth! Bath was beautiful in the summer - we rented wooden lounge chairs and read books to each other in the park by the river, took the tour learning the "Saved by the bell" was from putting bells in coffins during the Plague - in case you woke up - you could alert people prior to your burial... which happened a couple times in Bath... er!!!
I am loving your pictures!
That last picture takes my breath away. So beautiful!
I love the pictures and stories, Sonja!!
I love your pictures, Sonja. I wish I could go to England. It looks so beautiful!
Post a Comment