Oct 9, 2010

It's a date!

Her first.
ddate6

Hang on, don't panic. It's not like it sounds.

My nine-year old daughter's church group put together a daddy-daughter "prom" to help teach the girls about proper etiquette and to have a fun time with their daddies.

I went to the mall for the first time in a long time with Elise yesterday. I really don't like the mall. We prefer Target or the DI. But these were lacking in the "nice dress" department so we braved a trip to the da...da...daaaaa.... mall.

Elise said, "Mom, why are there so many pictures of people wearing underwear? Do people wear that kind of underwear? I've never seen you wear that kind of underwear. Oh, it probably doesn't come in your size. That's ok, I don't think it looks that nice, even on skinny people." Seriously. Ick.

Did you know that Victoria's Secret is right across from Children's Place and Gymboree? And that the children's and youth section is on the bottom floor of Dillard's, but guess what you see right at the bottom of the escalator? The lingerie section! With posters!

Alright, I will save that for another post. But mark my words, there will be words! Many words said on this issue. Sometime. Later.

Onward.

She found a dress. She found a head band. She found shoes and we ran home.

Today, this rock-collecting, bug-finding, tree-climbing, karate-kicking daughter of mine was excited to let me curl her hair! (and I was excited to do it.)

ddate3

Her father came to to the door, presented her with a corsage and opened the door to the car for her. She felt like a princess! To me she was lovelier than any princess could be and her prince was absolutely dashing. I'm sorry future boys, but she's got her expectations set pretty high, because her dad is so wonderful.

ddate col2
They ate dinner at the church, had their picture taken, and danced.

When she came home Elise exclaimed, "This was the best night EVER!"

Yep, the little girl is growing up and it sounds like she enjoys it.

Keep it together, mom.

keep it together. 
sniff.

ddate

7 comments:

Katie said...

This is so sweet! I love that idea. And I'm looking forward to your many words on that other issue too.

Christie said...

So stinking cute!

Amber M. said...

The first...and the one she'll remember forever!

Cellista said...

She looks fabulous! Good job, Mom! I still have fond memories of a Daddy/Daughter date at about that age.

Hey, do you still want to get together this week? Let me know, and I tagged you on my blog if you feel so inclined to answer some questions. :)

Unknown said...

Elise looks absolutely beautiful!!! (and so grown up). What a memorable first date!

Layla said...

Super sweet! Sher looks so happy and all grown up.

BTW yesterday at church a friend had a Mormon.org card and Jeremy was on it. I told her that I knew him and she was all like woo he's not a model? haha

Laurie said...

Oh, Sonja I absolutely LOVE these pictures. I will never ever forget Elise and Jeremy at the Prom. He was so adorable and attentive to her. I also will never forget the girls faces as they walked in on the arm of their Dad's feeling so beautiful and fancy. This is a night that I will never forget either. I am so so glad they had fun.