Jan 10, 2011

Dontcha know?

Yes, it's that time of year we resolve.
What do we resolve?
To be better.
A collective penitence, so to speak.

Resolutions are so cliche, you say? Even, wishful thinking?

Well guess what folks: Wishful thinking is right up my alley. Happens to be one of my strengths. So it may come as no surprise to you that I love making resolutions.

I love the energy that comes from it. I dream big and always fall short, but at least I move forward in the right direction. Call it what you will, but every year the energy comes back and I'm like Jerry Seinfeld, in "A Bee Story" as he repeatedly slams into a glass door:
Maybe this time, maybe this time, maybe this time.

The door is going to open! This time it will open for me!

Behind that door lies healthier habits, more writing, better writing, more education, more trips to the temple, a kinder disposition, less debt and whiter teeth!

And to prove I'm more than just talk, here is this post, that I've written.  I could have spent the last 15 minutes playing boggle on my ipod, but instead, I'm making good on my resolution.

I will go even further to report that not only am I writing, but I am writing whilst mostly covered in sweat, from the gym this morning where I burned at least 700 calories. And just so you know it's really me and not some impostor, I'm disclosing the fact that there is a cup of Steven's (non-diet, full sugar) hot chocolate right beside me.

Nevertheless....movement in the right direction is good!

Now I will go work on another goal: to shower and look presentable everyday.

Yay me!

6 comments:

Montserrat said...

You are so funny! Maybe it just seems funny because it hits close to home. I'll go walk/jog around our section (4 miles!) and promptly come in and have a HUGE cup of hot cocoa. Can't live without it! I'd rather exercise for an extra 1/2 hour instead of giving it up. :D

The Parmleys said...

...And the rich man said, "all these things I have done." Jesus said, "You lack one thing. Go and take your ipod and store it in a glass of salt water, then come and follow me." And the rich man went away sorrowing because of his love for the ipad.

Katie said...

Sure love this!!! One little step at a time, right? That's my life motto...

Sonja said...

Cocoa, you are a girl after my own heart.
Dad, you are borderline blasphemous, but you speak the truth.
Katie, you should know I idolize you.

Christine said...

Yay Sonja! Good for you! I've made some resolutions too but I'm already slacking. I guess I'd better write a post telling everyone what they are so that I feel accountable. We'll be home in May or June for the summer. Can't wait to see you!

Jennifer Purdie said...

I always make New Year's resolutions. I write them down in December and then at the end of the year I see how I did and write down how I did. Then I make new ones for the upcoming year. I just spoke to the young women about how I set New Year's resolutions and how important I think they are--yes they are a cliche, but really, it is just setting goals. I LOVE doing it! I love this time of year where you get to start fresh. So good for you!!