Jan 11, 2011

Low expectations are a good thing?

dmv2011I had to renew my driver's license today.

Of course I prepared for the worst experience ever. Because that's what a trip to the DMV is, right?

I brought snacks, books and games for Anna. I brought a book for myself (book 3 of Fablehaven) and figured we'd be there for a couple of hours. I put on my happy face, because I knew everyone there would be cranky.  It's January. It's cold. And every time I've gone to the DMV before those factors seem to play on the employees.
Usually it's:
"Hey lady, I don't care if you waited for an hour, the line you are suppose to be in is over there."
or
"Oh my gosh, lady, could you write any slower?"

I'm hear to tell you that today, today the DMV fates or what have you, were smiling down on me.

I walk in the door. I give them ALL the required documents. I am smiled at and thanked. I sit down with Anna and less five minutes later I leave the building with a new driver's license.

I didn't even get to read my book.

I guess it pays to have low expectations. No one is too disappointed if the experience is horrible, because they are prepared for it. And when things go well,
they are pleasantly surprised.

Thank you Utah DMV, however, now my expectations will be higher.
 ps. does any one else think it's absolutely ridiculous that they still  ask for hair/eye color and weight?  Come on.....

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I love your pics, by the way. But I can't relate to this. I had to get mine renewed in Atlanta Georgia once and it took me 2 Saturdays. {sigh!} I am still traumatized from it.

Jennifer Purdie said...

In Arizona, licenses are good for 40 years and you don't have to change your picture, which makes no sense, but that's the way they do things. So you'd never have that problem! Love your pics.

The Parmleys said...

40 years, Jennifer! I think of all my patients with macular degeneration. Let's see...they get their license when they're 18, renew it when they're 58, then it's good until they're 98! I will be a bit more careful next time I'm driving in Arizona!

Michal said...

These pictures are adorable! Yes, it is ridiculous that they ask for weight-- does anyone tell the truth? And hair color changes, doesn't it? I don't think I look anything like my driver's license picture-- or at least I hope I don't!:)