Dec 13, 2012

When a baby answers a prayer

I am inspired to write this post after seeing a video from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that talks about a woman going through a very difficult time and receiving peace and comfort from holding her little niece.

And anyway, this little experience needs to be recorded for posterity.

Last Christmas, my baby was very, very little. Under seven pounds, little. A couple of days before Christmas I went to the grocery store to get a few things. Isaac was just over a month old. I put little Isaac, who was in his carrier/car seat, in the shopping cart. I remember hearing the gentleman ringing the bell for Salvation Army donations. It was cold, but not bitterly so.

I got my few items ans started to leave the store when an older woman approached me. She seemed a little haggled (but we all do a few days before Christmas). Despite this, she just started gushing over Isaac, who was beaming at her from his seat. It was one of his first truly big smiles.
The woman started to cry and told me that smile helped her so much.
She proceeded to tell me that just days before, her 2 year old grandson was killed in a car accident and her heart was aching so much.
I started to cry too.
She said she felt it was as if her grandson was trying to comfort her, through my baby's smile.
Then she asked what my baby's name was.
I told her and she gasped.
She said her grandson's name was Isaac, too.

One of my little primary kids asked a few weeks ago if miracles still happen.

Yes, they do.

I don't think I will ever see that woman again, but her image, tears and touched heart will always stay with me.

Our Father in Heaven knows us and sends help in unexpected, but purposeful ways.

2 comments:

Montserrat said...

What a beautiful story!

Rachel Keppner said...

How wonderful! Thank you for sharing your beautiful experience.