Aug 31, 2007

Follow Up Friday: Home School Rocks!


This was a productive week at homeschool. A large measure of this week's success is due to the fact that everyone is healthy. I've also been very thankful for Sam and Elise's experiences at their old school. They have been very good about getting their work done and I think this is because of the good start and structure that school gave them these past few years. PLUS..we have established daily work and daily work must be done. In addition to daily work (Math, Reading, Writing, Spelling, Piano) we are doing unit studies(Science, History, Geography, Current Events) and then they can choose their own "explore" work. For me right now, this system is working. I really like "The Well Trained Mind" and consider the "Thomas Jefferson" method when planning unit studies. I am a HUGE fan of Dianne Hopkins. I have a few of her publications and reference them frequently. There are a few reasons that I am homeschooling. That could be a whole other blog. I believe every family has the right to pray for and recieve direction for their family. Homeschooling is right for us right now. I want my children to be excited about learning, be confident in their abilities and in their parent's love for them and in their Heavenly Father's love for them and to find joy in the world around them. To be joyful. Each day, whether or not we feel successful in fulfilling our plans, I want them to feel loved and to love eachother. I don't think that homeschooling is the ONLY way to achive this. LIke I said, it is right for our family for now. There are some things that make a VERY big difference in our school day. Here is what I have discovered makes the day go much smoother:

1. I get up at 6:30 and go jogging with my friends for at least 1/2 hr. It REALLY helps to have this time and to get my body moving...to be awake mentally and ready for the day before the kids even wake up.
2. It really helps if I can shower.
3. I MUST get at least 7 hours of continuous sleep. I owe it to my kids to be my best self.
4. I say morning prayer (in addition to evening and whenever else I need help or am especially grateful) and scripture study. Morning prayer is such a relfective time.
5. We have family prayer and scripture study right after breakfast.
6. I don't answer the phone or make calls until 2:30pm.
7. We don't play video games or watch TV during the school week (I make exceptions for math computer games and educational TV programs--this is limited, however)
8. We go out of the house at least once a day. (Sometime this means a walk around the block or just running and playing games in the back yard)
9. We go to the library once a week. When you can't watch TV it helps to have LOTS of great books to choose from. It makes them so exited about reading. Reading is FUN!
10. I've had Sam and Elise take turns watching/playing with Claire and Anna. I can usually get 1 hr or uninterrupted time with each of them when we do this.I spend a little more time with Elise as she is still learning to read. I have also been trying to do preschool things with Claire. It really has been working well so far.
11. I have the D.I.V.E CD rom for Sam's Saxon math. This has been great and is worth every penny. He just watches the lesson at the computer and then does the practice problems. I can be with the other kids during this time and he can be uninterrupted.
12. I only have the van twice a week right now, so on those days we do dance lessons and library and other outings. School is more flexible on those days and we just do the daily work. But they are always reading...so they keep learning even if we aren't super structured on those days.
13. Each child needs some individual attention. We are practicing waiting our turns and not interrupting when someone else is talking. But each child need some alone time with mom. Time on my lap or reading or just telling me their ideas.This makes a difference in their behavior.
14. Everyone helps with the house work. This is part of the curriculum. Everyone feels better when we have a clean house and can find our stuff.
15. We eat a healthy diet. We feel better when we eat better!! Limit sugar and refined foods. Plenty of fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains. Lean meat and healthy fats and oils (We do make exceptions every so often :)
Phew...That seems like a lot. But it has been a successful formula so far.

Scripture Reading: Alma 37-40. Hymn practice # 83 "Guide Us O, Thou Great Jehovah" (New Test. illustrated stories at night)
This week for Sam: Saxon 5/4 lessons 5-8. Math Facts Test highscore 83/5 min.;
LA: Alliteration. Rock emphasis. Journal writing. Spelling, Apple poem
Reading: Eye Witness "Rocks and Minerals", Diary of Anne Frank, various library books
Science: Rocks and Minerals, Reading comp. books "Rock Hounding in Utah", Rock collection
History: "If You Were a Child in History"
Piano: "Classic Dance" Faber Series 1a

This week for Elise: Saxon 2 lessons 3-5. Math Facts Test highscore 18/ 1 min.
LA: Apple poem, Spelling (ch phonics group1)
Reading: Phonics books, Amelia Bedelia, Rocks and Minerals, Crystals and Gems, various library books.
Science: Rocks and Minerals, Rock collection
Piano: "Ode to Joy" Faber Series Primer

This week for Claire: Letter B and number 2. Various arts and crafts for these. Review sounds of A and concept of number 1.
Practice patience, waiting our turn. Singing lots of songs. Drawing circles and faces. Reviewing names of
shapes.

This week for Anna: Lots of singing! Names of face parts. These are words we understand: no, uh oh, pah tickle (popcicle),
ink (Drink), shoosh (shoes), sigh (out side), mama, dada, eese (Elise), hot, cold, bah (bath), dah (dog). She
is walking well and we are happy that her right foot doesn't seem to be turning in as much.

Here is a picture of our school. If we can do it, anyone can!


No comments: