Sep 30, 2007

Follow up Friday: Lessons in Unexpected Places

Well this was an interesting week at school. First of all, as you can plainly see, today is NOT Friday. This report is late because_____________. (insert any one of a number of excuses) I was thinking about just skipping it this week but we DID learn some interesting things as I have mentioned and need to record them. It helps me so much to be accountable in this way.

The weather was much cooler this week. This brought about the great changing of the closets. This is a big project! Out with most of the summer shorts, in with the long-sleeves and jeans. Also, my kids and I have to condition ourselves to WEAR SHOES again. Not just flip flops, but socks and shoes.We are working on it. Slowly but surely. We had fun making the movie for Pappa's birthday on Friday. That was our fun Friday activity. They helped with the idea, picking the music and with some of the editing. Of course, they had fun acting too. In fact, this whole weekend their playing has had a "secret agent" theme.

I like recording the written work that goes on during our week, but I want to add that there is a lot of learning that goes on that is not "written, recorded" work. For example:
Anna provided a fascinating lesson this week about how food is digested (or not) in our body. We know first hand that popcorn kernels are NOT digested and leave our body looking mostly the way they did when they entered it. Anna had a diaper that contained about 30 popcorn kernels thanks to our snack at cub scouts this week. This lead to very intriguing discussions and to some cool Internet sites. (Anna was un-fazed by this, thankfully)
Sam learned how to make his favorite breakfast last week: German Pancakes. He made them all by himself for the rest of us. He now understands why it is rude to say, "Ew gross, I'm not having this for dinner", because even if you don't like that dinner, it took someone time to make it.
Elise made a woven pot holder last month and now understands the concept of weaving and how rugs are made. I mean, she understands now that one of the things that makes something valuable is how much time it took someone to make it! So, those are things I won't always record under "technical learning" but they are some of the driving forces that keep me homeschooling.

Never-the-less, here is the recorded written work of this week:
Scripture reading: Alma 47-50 We LOVE Captain Moroni! He was prepared. He didn't want to fight. He was so smart and fortified the cities so that the Lamanites didn't even want to attack them. When they did there were no Nephite casualties while there was an immense slaughter of Lamanites. Our two favorite verses were Alma 49: 27-28.

Samuel: Saxon 5/4 lessons 17-20, Assessment 3, Investigation 2: Measuring Perimeters
Language Arts: finished lesson 1 (review pronouns, syllabication, definitions)
Spelling: fountain, mountain, bargain, curtain, captain, again, certain,definition, syllabication, pronunciation
Memorization: America (verse 1)
Reading: Farmer Boy, (so many library books)
Journal writing
Science: review digestive system
Piano: Half-Time Show, The Lonely Pine
STOW: Chapter 5 "The First Sumerian Dictator" and Chapter 6 "The Jewish People"
(they love these so much that we did 2 chapters again this week)

Elise: Saxon 2 lessons 15-17
Language Arts: Homonyms
Spelling: same as last week
Reading: finished "Mouse Soup" and "Geese find the Missing Piece"
Journal writing
Science: see above
STOW: see above
Piano: "Hey, Mr. Half-note Dot"

Claire: Lesson 2 in "100 Easy Lessons" , Activities related to the letter F. Counting to 10.

Anna: Additional words--oweewee (owie), weh (wet, messy), me (me). Anna is very good at giving kisses!

2 comments:

Ice Cream said...

I love hearing about the things they learned that weren't on paper. After all, it is those non paper moments that make homeschooling so fun. I need to start writing down what we do in HS. Perhaps we would get more done if I knew someone would see the end result.

Becky J. said...

Anna is so darling! I love all the fun words they say and the new things they do literally every single day. What a doll!