
Actually, I will give you MY thoughts for free! However, pennies are on my mind right now. Not only because I'm short about 1,000,000,000 of them, but because of my sweetie Claire. You know, my tumbling, active, on-the-move three year old, Claire? On Tuesday Claire acquired a penny. She found it, picked it up and hoped all day she'd have good luck. "Pennies don't bring good luck, mom." This realization was made after my tumbling Claire accidentally swallowed the penny. She was rolling around on the floor with the lucky penny in hand and some how the little coin ended up in her mouth and quickly made it's way down to her tummy. She was shocked!! She was upset! She was distraught! She wanted her penny back!! She was afraid that it would be "stuck in her body forever." When I assured her that it would most likely pass through her, she cried and cried. Oh to be three and so confused about the way things work! Once again, an opportunity to review our Digestive System lesson. This really didn't help her feel any better about the fact that her lucky penny was inside her and would be passing through her. I ended up sleeping with her all night because she was so worried about the penny coming out in the middle of the night. Sweet, sweet Claire....this morning when we were reading scriptures, the inevitable "And it came to pass" was read and Claire said, "HEY mom! And it came to pass, just like my penny will come to pass!"
Don't you think this thought was worth the penny?
*just as a side note--I looked up swallowed pennies and it turns out that if you swallow a penny with the date of 1989 or newer you need to watch for tummy aches because these pennies are mostly made of zinc. This site was particularly helpful: scienceagogo.com .
7 comments:
I loved this story! Hopefully Claire's penny is a newer one and she won't have any problems from the incident.
Thanks Sunny! I wrote that wrong though, it is suppose to be pennies that are 1989 or NEWER are mostly zinc. :? Eek! We will probably never know though!
Poor Claire. Funny story to read though. I hope the penny passing is painless. Did she say how it felt going down to her tummy? I just wonder what it would be like to swallow something so hard of that size.
Kinda scary about the zinc, but I am sure she will be okay. Funny how no matter how hard you try to explain something to a little one, they still can only think of that one special thing.
Thanks, I needed the laugh :)
Funny how reading the scriptures can always make you feel better about things!
Great, I'll never be able to read "And it came to pass..." with a straight face again. Too funny!
When i was 5 my best friend swallowed a penny and it actually got stuck in her throught. I even got to see her x-rays. I am always warning my kids about this. I hope that the penny will "come to pass" soon.
Post a Comment